Listening setups

asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
edited June 2014 in Strut Central
The tube amp thread got me wondering what kind of listening set-ups the Strut is running these days. Not your production/studio stuff, share what you use and your thoughts on your system.

Right now I'm using a standard Tech 1210 with an Ortofon 2M Blue cart, into a Rotel 975 integrated amp, thru a pair of Bose 301 Series III speakers. I'm constantly resisting the urge to get into more audiophile level equipment like tube amps or nicer speakers. I'd like to do it but i also have pretty bad tinnitus so I think I'd end up missing a lot of the subtle details that you get by going the audiophile route. I did just upgrade to the Ortofon from a Shure 44G cart and it made a real noticeable difference, especially now that the cart has broken in a bit. Well worth the money there.

So what are you guys/gals listening on these days?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    A while ago I mentioned my 1200, Marantz 2270 and goodman speakers. They are in the shop in the front of my house.

In the house, for the last 20+ years, we have mostly listened to this boombox for CDs and Tapes.

For the radio I have a Columbia tube radio that came out of Japan. It has 3 settings, Hi-Fidelity, Mid-Fidelity and Low-Fidelity.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I'm currently listening with vintage Linn Nexus LS 250 Speakers

My amp is a old Mission Cyrus One:

2 Technics 1210 turtables with Stanton 890 SA cartridges

and a Rane Emapth Rotary mixer:

for the playback of audio files I'm using a Roland Quad Capture 2 x 2 interface

decent enough for me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

1200 turntable, dual-cassette player, dvd player, 5 CD changer, and PS3....and Airplay for streaming.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    This picture is 5 years old but my setup has changed at all. An old POS JVC amp, Yamaha tape deck, Vestax PMC-17A mixer, one 1200, one 1210, and old 80's Memorex speakers that sound great for their tiny size. I had a bunch of high end audiophile gear but sold it to keep funding my never-ending 1956 VW restoration project. On the desk I use an old set of Monsoon planar speakers.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    billbradley said:

Jealous of those Orb records... :feelin_it:

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Technics 1200's

Carts - M44-7

Mixer - Vestax 08Pro

Amp - ART SLA4

Monitors - Paisley Research

I think my set up is dope I have had those speakers fixed a few times (foam re-taped), but they seem to get better and better sound each time...

• 2 Numark TTX turntables, CC1 carts, Xone:22 mixer, leading to a Dayton Audio APA150 which ends at 2 bookshelf speakers from monoprice and a matching powered sub of the same brand

Works for my current purposes, will be getting better quality monitors as time and money allow

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    billbradley said:

Jealous of those Orb records... :feelin_it:

I have all of the early Orb stuff. The framed Little Fluffy Clouds was signed by Alex when we DJ'd together back in the 90s in Austin. Those records are still some of my favorites.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

The current (now school), family-room, listening setup includes:

NAD 317 Stereo Integrated Amplifier.

NAD 553 turntable (along with a phono pre-amp).

Boston Acoustics VR960R speakers (with monster copper cables).

NAD C520 Compact Disc Player.

Yamaha KX-393 Natural Sound Stereo Cassette Player.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    meistromoco said:

beautiful

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Living room:

Thorens TD-160 Super Turntable
    PSE Studio SL pre-amp
    PSE Studio 2 power amp
    Dynaco A25 Speakers in original condition.

For style reasons, the PSE set-up will be replaced by either a Dynaco or a Marantz (pictured below) when I get them refurbished. Cords will also be re-routed soon.

Record Room:

Micro Seiki DD-40 Turntable
    PSE Studio SL pre-amp
    PSE Studio 5 Monoblock power amps (one amp per speaker)
    JBL L-110 speakers
    Nakamichi tape deck
    Headroom headphone amp
    Sennheiser HD580 headphones
    Also shown as recent additions: Jolida tube amp and Denon tape deck
    The piece of wood holding the amps over the speakers is a temporary mock-up while making a new permanent unit.

The storage and pending refurb area:

(4) Pioneer CS-88 speakers from a quad setup I bought.
    Matantz 2230 amp
    Dynaco SCA-35 amp
    Marantz Car amp/equalizer destined for my 1978 Honda Accord
    VPI record cleaner
    Some replica JBL speaker stand I made out of walnut
    A couple 1200s and an Ecler mixer for gigs
    A wooden Sansui case that I want to make replicas of for sale

A Sansui quad amp I rebuilt and installed for my neighbor's restaurant and a Tandberg amp that I bought/sold:

[/url]

Most are from garage sales, some from Craigslist, and a few were donated by my father in law, who was a baller in the late 80s.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Rebuilt Bogen RF-35 tube receiver, Dual 1019 with Shure M91ED cartridge and JICO SAS stylus, ADS L710 Series II speakers. I am set unless I come across a pair of Warfedale 90 speakers in the area. I have my set up in the living room because I love to listen to music out on the screen porch right off the living room in summer and by the fireplace in winter. In the basement, I have my old 1200 with a basic Grado carrtrige and stylus, an old Technics solid state and some Scott speakers with a pair of Bose bookshelf speakers thrown in.