2»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Deal.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    batmon said:
    Okem said:
    Also. If it's an indoor cat that needs exercise and a release for it's hunting instincts, buy a cheap lazer pointer and have endless fun watching your cat trying to catch that little red dot.

yes...thats been a main concern, getting her exercize.
    There are hundreds of toys out there for bored cats, in my personal experience they are incredibly hit or miss, but more often miss. We bought stuff only for it to be totally ignored in favour of stolen pencils and the like. But all cats seem to like dangly, fast moving objects that you and the cat can play with together.

The only other thing I can think of that might be worth mentioning.. Cats will often eat things like grass to make themselves sick. It's nothing to worry about and apparently just something they're prone to do to save them the effort of fully digesting food. Don't be surprised to find your cat nibbling at things like house plants.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How often should a cat use catnip?

Once a month? three times a day!!!!??

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    How often should a cat use catnip?

Once a month? three times a day!!!!??

Cats vary quite a bit in their reaction to catnip, so try it and see how it goes.

Personally, I didn't like my cat being super wasted very often.

b/w

The only toy she really liked was the dangly bent wire with some cardboard bits stuck in the end. And she pretty much never tired of that.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    My cat's favourite toy is a piece of regular white string.
    Buying fancy things for cats is usually a good way to waste money. They like carboard boxes more than a spifft cat-bed

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    During winter months, I run around the house about once a week with a fake mouse on the end of a thin rope and have her chase and jump. Or I sit there with a flashlight and let her do all the work. She's out in the yard in the summer trying to catch squirrels and the birds. Or just loafing in the sun.

Not sure if your space allows for this, but a friend of mine with indoor cats has their food and water on the highest surface of his place - the top of the kitchen cabinets - to make them have to work to get there.

I give her catnip two or three times a month.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Invest in cat treats. It's like attaching your cat to a bungee and rescues you from the indignity of having to shout its stupid name out across the entire neighbourhood for 20 minutes every night. No matter how good a name you pick for a pet, I suspect it just sounds idiotic when you're yelling it aloud.

So true, a couple of shakes of the bag and she's back at the house like a flash.

I had a cat named Squirrel and I did indeed sound crazy shouting her name out the back door come sundown.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    We have bells on the door. Our cat comes when we ring the bells.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I wish I had a cat just for Panic Mouse. Panic Mouse!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Horseleech said:

DO YOU EVEN PARTY?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    My cat sometimes brings mice and lizards into the house. So if he's hunting anyways, I figure put it to good use. So two days ago I was sitting in the backyard, strumming on the old banjo and drinking a beer, enjoying a cool evening after a warm day. A movement in the grass caught my attention. It was a goddam gopher again. I've tried to wackamole them with a shovel before, but they are too quick.

So I got smart and went inside and got the cat. I held the cat in place a few feet from the gopher hole and told him to just wait. Well scooter was looking this way and that, but it didn't matter because the gohper did not reappear. It must have sensed danger.

Having typed all that out, I realize it may be the whitest combination of things I have ever done.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Gary said:
    My cat sometimes brings mice and lizards into the house. So if he's hunting anyways, I figure put it to good use. So two days ago I was sitting in the backyard, strumming on the old banjo and drinking a beer, enjoying a cool evening after a warm day. A movement in the grass caught my attention. It was a goddam gopher again. I've tried to wackamole them with a shovel before, but they are too quick.

So I got smart and went inside and got the cat. I held the cat in place a few feet from the gopher hole and told him to just wait. Well scooter was looking this way and that, but it didn't matter because the gohper did not reappear. It must have sensed danger.

Having typed all that out, I realize it may be the whitest combination of things I have ever done.

have you tried shoving a garden hose into the gopher's hole and pumping it full of water?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Horseleech said:

DO YOU EVEN PARTY?

I'm a different subject...

(Double standard related)

head phones up in the club

DB_Cooper said:
    Horseleech said:

DO YOU EVEN PARTY?

yea, Sandy, don't be a bummer.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I had a cat that lived to be 21 years old and we only fed it regular old whiskas cat food or whatever was in the store. She also liked to be vacuumed with the hose attachment instead of brushed.

I agree with the laser. Our cat loves that. A bored cat will be annoying.

ill try the dust buster tonight

Ive fed her Merrick, Fancy Feast, and Sheba.

Found some Rabbit and Venison stuff from i think Insight...its grain free and she'll eat it but not really throw it down.

And ive been looking at this Purina Beyond shit.
    So are most brands doing an "organic/highend" line now??

And whats w/ the carrots, greens, sweet potato and veggies and shit trend?

And i dont fuck w/ the WITH Cheese stuff.

b/w

Copped a leash to see if she'll go on the roof for some fresh air.

• Flomotion said:
    Invest in cat treats. It's like attaching your cat to a bungee and rescues you from the indignity of having to shout its stupid name out across the entire neighbourhood for 20 minutes every night. No matter how good a name you pick for a pet, I suspect it just sounds idiotic when you're yelling it aloud.

Cut scene to an awkward 13-year-old me yelling "Icarus!!" repeatedly.
    My brother was an Iron Maiden fan.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    batmon said:

b/w

Watch out for a ton of stuff that is marketing the food TO YOU. "organic, natural", etc... We are nothing like cats

Veggies and shit might be fine and interesting to dogs, but cats are just carnivores and can do without that stuff. Sure, some cats eat a lot of peculiar and unusual stuff but they don't need it. Protein and fat are key. Specific mentions of specific meat in ingredients list.
    Just try to find food with a lot of quality meat content and very litter wheat/filler/starch/crap. Avoid corn and soy!

WITH cheese = gtfohwtb

If you didn't get her a drinking fountain/she isn't super fond of drinking, it's wise to get some wet food from time to time. Trust.

Try and get her used to the leash as early as possible, so she'll be less likely to completely reject it later on.

cove said:
    batmon said:

b/w

Watch out for a ton of stuff that is marketing the food TO YOU. "organic, natural", etc... We are nothing like cats

Veggies and shit might be fine and interesting to dogs, but cats are just carnivores and can do without that stuff. Sure, some cats eat a lot of peculiar and unusual stuff but they don't need it. Protein and fat are key. Specific mentions of specific meat in ingredients list.
    Just try to find food with a lot of quality meat content and very litter wheat/filler/starch/crap. Avoid corn and soy!

WITH cheese = gtfohwtb

If you didn't get her a drinking fountain/she isn't super fond of drinking, it's wise to get some wet food from time to time. Trust.

Try and get her used to the leash as early as possible, so she'll be less likely to completely reject it later on.

Yeah...im now feeding her u/25 Wet to dry w/ treats here and there.
    I keep her water bowl fresh but shes not a big drinker unless i give her dry food back to back to back.

Ive been mixing the grain free Rabbit and Venison stuff w/ Fancy Feast Beef and shell eat it.
    Grain free Duck w/ FFeast Chicken.

I havent tried the leash yet...we will see.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    When I was a kid we had to put our cat on a leash to walk it whilst we were living in temporary housing. It just had a simple collar and our cat hated it, freaked out, ripped the collar off and ran away. Luckily he didn't go far and we caught him. We ended up getting a better one with straps that go around the legs and neck, he hated that as well but it got him out of the house without escaping.

Okem said:
    but it got him out of the house without escaping.

Thats all im talmbout.

Just get out of my food & cigarette smoke apt for a minute and see the sky.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    cove said:
    Protein and fat and moisture.