Old Man DJ Needle recommendations

LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central
Hey ya'll. I'm looking to replace my cartridges on my decks now that I finally have a permanent space for them, goddamn kids really kicked me in the ass the last couple of yrs... Currently I have a couple of Ortofon Nightclubs that are old and toast. I remember liking them... I also have used Shure's in the past but now I don't need a scratch needle.
I need something I can cue without worrying about burnout. Not damaging the wax used to be the least of my worries, now it's up near the top. What do you consider the best needle soundwise ( I'm thinking neutral that leans towards warmth if anything) that can cue that seems to be the most gentle on the wax? Ortofon vs Shure vs Stanton vs others? Is a spherical needle noticeably less abrasive then an elliptical one? Upfront cost and that of replacement stylus' is a factor but not a determining one. Been bouncing this off friends in the real world these days and wondering what you guys think.

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I have used the night club for years (recommended by an audio engineer friend ), I am still using the original (yellow) but have heard the later version (orange) are great. Having said that the only thing I have tested them against is the q-Bert ortofons (which are slightly louder) and an entry model Pickering (which is a complete hos). I have also heard great things about the white labels, hope that helps.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Thanks for the info. I've been using the yellow tips as well and just wondering if I should drop the doe on the 120's (new spherical stylus I think) which are touted as being better on the wax. What got me thinking about all this is a bud who said that the cantilever needle design is more aggressive, vinyl eating, than the more traditional type that mounts to a headshell. This was news to me... I thought you just had to be careful about breaking in the needles enough. The fact that my tonearm will be weighted light should help as well I guess.