Muscle Shoals - PBS episode related

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central
Any of you dudes/dudettes check this show?

I'd heard of Muscle Shoals throughout the years, but never really dug deep into the back story. This PBS special was a pretty cool little showcase for the whole vibe/industry/scene down there

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/blog/musical-journey-muscle-shoals

Comments

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    They showed this on the BBC a few weeks ago. Cannot recommend it enough!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Caught this the other night.
    Very highly recommended.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    Caught this the other night.
    Very highly recommended.

Very good. Great stories, some sad.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    THANK FUCKING GOD THEY HAD THE MUSIC EXPERT CALLED "BONO" TO START THIS THING OFF...
    I am glad he was there to explain "that African sound"...no wonder he has been in every goddamn music documentary in the last 20 years, where would we be without his insight? I ask again, WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT HIS INSIGHT!!?!?!?!!?

great doc, but why in the fuck is Bono in it?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

great doc, but why in the fuck is Bono in it?

He interjects himself into everything and I'm sure the producers were actually thrilled to have Bono in their movie. I blame the producer for including Bono. They made an otherwise great doc and Bono is just white noise to me now anyhow.

http://www.artsatl.com/2013/10/review-muscle-shoals-theyve-swampers-music-cut/

ÔÇ£Muscle ShoalsÔÇØ opens horribly off-key with U2ÔÇÖs Bono waxing overly poetic about a place he has absolutely no tangible connection to. When Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Aretha Franklin and Wilson Pickett are all standing handy ÔÇö and theyÔÇÖre each an intricate part of the history and legacy of Muscle Shoals ÔÇö thereÔÇÖs no need to bring in a ringer. Especially one who sucks up an irritatingly large chunk of screen time in the first 10 minutes alone. ItÔÇÖs a cringe-worthy moment later on when, of all people, Bono is chosen to articulate the racial tensions in the South during the civil rights movement. - See more at: http://www.artsatl.com/2013/10/review-muscle-shoals-theyve-swampers-music-cut/#sthash.zknVZm7i.dpuf

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This was in theaters a few months ago.
    There is a thread here already.

Some great things, and some unfortunate things about this doc.
    Unless it has been edited, at the end it turns into a Lynyrd Skynryrd doc.
    Stevie Winwood also explains the Black American experience to us.

One great thing about 20ft From Stardom is that there is no Bono. Sting and Springsteen refrain from telling us what it is like to be Black, and instead give real insight into the role of the back up singer.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    This was in theaters a few months ago.
    There is a thread here already.

Some great things, and some unfortunate things about this doc.
    Unless it has been edited, at the end it turns into a Lynyrd Skynryrd doc.
    Stevie Winwood also explains the Black American experience to us.

One great thing about 20ft From Stardom is that there is no Bono. Sting and Springsteen refrain from telling us what it is like to be Black, and instead give real insight into the role of the back up singer.

My lady saw 20ft From Stardom and told me it was quite good except for the fact that Sting makes everything he touches worse.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I can't argue with her.
    But the only thing Sting talks about in this movie is his back up singers and their role in making his music better.
    you don't have to like his music to appreciate his back ground singers and his understanding of what they do for him.

b/w

On the other hand it is surprising how much Springsteen adds to the movie. As soon as I saw him I was expecting a Bono moment, but he has one of the best quotes of the movie.

And on the third side

You should rent it.