Welkshake 10th Anniversary!

dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central
I was listening to an old radio show from May 2004 and I found the first time I ever played the Welkshake 12", which means the 10th anniversary of the vinyl pressing is at hand! It was quite a bit after Diz first posted the mp3, but we all know music doesn't count until it's cut into wax. Congrats to Gary on one of Souldstrut's most legitimate musical moments, any plans for a special edition reissue with bonus tracks and digital download code?

If you're not familiar, set your time machine to 2004: https://myspace.com/dizzybull

Seriously, does an instrumental version exist?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    :bizzo:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    FortyFivan brought his copy to a Boston record swap at SoulOnIce's house with the paltry price tag of $200.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I'd love this on a 7" b/w instrumental.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Awesome! Yes, it was about 10 years ago that it was released on vinyl. I don't have the computer that it was made on, so I don't think there is an instrumental of it.

I can't beleive that was a decade ago.

I just googled 'welkshake' and there are two youtube videos! hahah. That's great.

That was such a fun time. 27 years old. It's hard to imagine. That was right around when I got fired from that job I hated. We had huge SoCal strutter meetups and parties.

I'm getting nostalgic.

Dollar bin did the radio show because Wax Poetics did the Mingering Mike story and didn't mention soulstrut at all. So Tom decided to do an entire radio show featuring strutters calling in and strutter made music. So cool.

I can't even listen to records now. everything is boxed up. 2 young kids, a full time job, and no time. Can it be that it was all so simple then?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    It was a bunch of different covers of Spinning Wheel.

Of course this was the major one:

Ray Conniff's version of Spinning Wheel, at 1:40 (I'm listening to this on Spotify right now) had the vocal cheese part "Dat-Dah da-da-da-da-daaaa"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    An EP with an instrumental would be hot.

With L13sLesson & Trouser Lozenge...

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    The whole Soulstrut Radio episode was later in November 2004. Waxing Deep still hosts the audio file if anybody wants a sip of the juice:
    http://www.waxingdeep.org/music.htm

For the Welkshake debut in May 2004 we did do a phone-in interview. Grandpa Shig tried to call you in the middle of the interview and you told an amusing story about winning concert tickets from a Mexican radio station.

I bought at least five copies of Welkshake when it came out, but other than my personal copy, I think I've given away all my remaining copies. I even offered one up on the Katrina Heatrocks auction.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    So ill. I had to make do with a 128 MP3 for along time until I found it on ebay. The dude had no idea what he had. Breakbeatraer comp . Olski!

I'd like a 7" of Gary's Swank Dat. Played teh mp3 for many friends, all of whom enjoyed it thoroughly. I was tickled that I had actually grabbed the record it sampled a couple of months prior to hearing it. Got rid of it since, but I had it at the time.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Gary said:

That was such a fun time. 27 years old. It's hard to imagine. That was right around when I got fired from that job I hated. We had huge SoCal strutter meetups and parties.

I'm getting nostalgic.

I loved those meetups, some of the highlights

- winning the pushup contest
    - vomiting at your house twice (lightweight rel)
    - Hollaring at Hawn Jew's homegirl
    - vomiting again in a urinal at the Slick Rick show

Can it be that it was all so simple then?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I'd like a 7" of Gary's Swank Dat. Played teh mp3 for many friends, all of whom enjoyed it thoroughly. I was tickled that I had actually grabbed the record it sampled a couple of months prior to hearing it. Got rid of it since, but I had it at the time.

Post an MP3! I don't have many of them anymore. What record was it? Must have been easy listening I'm sure.

Gary said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Post an MP3! I don't have many of them anymore. What record was it? Must have been easy listening I'm sure.

It was a trombone record. The name is killing me right now, but he was standing on some railroad tracks in a suit with his trombone on the cover.

And I'll need to dig around for the mp3. I have it ona disc somewhere, I'm sure.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Urbie Green?

His Green Power on Project 3 is nice and should be added to the Need This thread.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Urbie Green?

His Green Power on Project 3 is nice and should be added to the Need This thread.

The flip side of Welkshake was a mashup of Obie Trice "Got some teeth" and this Jam:

Which is so f*&^%ing dope I don't know why more people have never heard of it. Dollar bin RAER.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I have both sides of that ripped. Will post more laterer.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Gary said:
    DB_Cooper said:

It was a trombone record. The name is killing me right now, but he was standing on some railroad tracks in a suit with his trombone on the cover.

I remember now. "Swank Dat" was Souljah Boy's "Crank Dat" over this:

I had the 45 so I have no idea what the LP looked like.

I don't have the swank dat mp3 anymore. Somehow I lost a lot of stuff.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Wow, I'm old. Got this on the first (?) heatrock from Gary. Now I sit on Grail!

Played it out at my club gig and people liked it and my teenage son and his friends really liked it so that's impressive for a Lawrence Welk sample.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    FortyFivan brought his copy to a Boston record swap at SoulOnIce's house with the paltry price tag of $200.

The price has only gone up.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    volumen said:

Played it out at my club gig and people liked it and my teenage son and his friends really liked it so that's impressive for a Lawrence Welk sample.

My two teenagers love it (they've grown up with it) but it's also the favourite song of my friend's four kids - all of them under 9.
    "She must really like milkshake."

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    volumen said:

My two teenagers love it (they've grown up with it) but it's also the favourite song of my friend's four kids - all of them under 9.
    "She must really like milkshake."

That's so cool.

I'm gonna get all choked up like Pharrell...!