rep your local shellfish experience

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Absolutely love these but never been able to find them in the UK. Percebes in Portuguese/Spanish or goose barnacles in English. Or tortoise legs, if you believe my 11 year old.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    Absolutely love these but never been able to find them in the UK. Percebes in Portuguese/Spanish or goose barnacles in English. Or tortoise legs, if you believe my 11 year old.

I've seen them on the Northern Cali coast but too small to harvest. When I found a tiny specimen attached to a piece of driftwood on the Caribbean Coast here in Costa Rica I asked around if they can be bought on any of the local markets. A marine biologist told me that none of the various species of goose neck barnacles are endemic to Costa Rica and that the one that I found had either made a long journey in the hull of a ship or that the piece of drift wood came from a very far place...

He obviously was wrong cause the ones in the picture I found while hiking some remote coves on the Osa Peninsula on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. This place can only be reached for 1-2 hours during very low tides.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Being a Wellfleet resident has it's advantages if you like oysters - namely a resident shellfish permit that can pay for itself in a day or two of oystering. Anyone into oysters will know what I mean.

A bowl of these, a good, cold vinho verde or a quality beer and I'm in heaven.
    I know that Portuguese explorers/traders were eating percebes in the Americas in the 16th century ... mostly found in Europe I think but they crop up all over the place so very possible that there are more colonies where you are.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Being a Wellfleet resident has it's advantages if you like oysters - namely a resident shellfish permit that can pay for itself in a day or two of oystering. Anyone into oysters will know what I mean.

Wow, these look great!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    A bowl of these, a good, cold vinho verde or a quality beer and I'm in heaven.
    I know that Portuguese explorers/traders were eating percebes in the Americas in the 16th century ... mostly found in Europe I think but they crop up all over the place so very possible that there are more colonies where you are.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out...

Horseleech said:

Wow, those are huge. Okay, that's done it I'm off to buy some oysters now. Bon appetit, fellers.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I never had Percebes, do you just saute and eat?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I fuck with these spots regularly.

Nick's Cove

Marshall Store

Hog Island

Tomales Bay Oyster Co.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    I never had Percebes, do you just saute and eat?

They're incredibly tasty, there's a reason why they're 50,- Euro a kilo in Spain or Portugal (way above the market price for lobster). I've only ever seen them boiled and wouldn't want to do anything else with them but throw them into a pot of boiling sea water for about 3 minutes. I ended up not even using the lime.

• local to me only while I was in Vietnam (just got back)

Bun Rieu (crab soup with beef or pork)

tiger prawns, scallops, uni, clams

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts

Nick's Cove

Hog Island

]

Been to both of these spots. Loved them,

Sadly, there's no edible shellfish in the Spokane River.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've never heard of eating barnacles.

Always spend the xmas holiday on the Oregon Coast. I like walking into town and buying a shellfish license, then harvesting mussels right below where we stay. We make a seafood chowder at home and take it with us, throw the mussels on the top when we heat it up. Only problem is we don't really like mussels.

What I like are Chesapeake Bay blue crabs. Last time we were there we bought some live soft shell crabs and sauteed them with just olive oil and butter. Best I have ever had.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Sunday night we hit up one of my favorite spots.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Nick's Cove

Marshall Store

Hog Island

Tomales Bay Oyster Co.

Haven't checked Nick's Cove in years. Need to revisit the experience. That Marshall spot is my go-to. Lady loves the Rockefeller-style but I can't be bothered to switch from straight raw. :raw:

b/w

Dude, try renting sea kayaks in the summer from Marshall and paddling over to the boat-in-only camp sites along the west side of Tomales Bay. You actually leave from the dock next to Nick's.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Frank said:
    the ones in the picture I found while hiking some remote coves on the Osa Peninsula on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica.

I hope you are far from the Pacific Coast now and safe.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Frank said:
    the ones in the picture I found while hiking some remote coves on the Osa Peninsula on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica.

I hope you are far from the Pacific Coast now and safe.

Oh shit.... I just heard about this. Appreciate the concern, we're inland again, up in the mountains. Earthquakes are really frequent around here, let's hope nothing will happen.

Edit: yeah tsunami watch has just been cancelled.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Two crabs were sunbathing on the beach.
    The girl crab suggested that the boy crab go get them an ice cream cone.

Having purchased two cones, Mr. Crab made his way back to the beach, deciding on the way to eat his ice cream. By the time he had finished the ice cream, he realized that his girlfriend's had started to melt all down his claw, so he licked it up and ended up eating hers too.

When he arrived back at the beach Ms. Crab exclaimed "Where's my ice cream cone?

"Well", he said. "I decided to eat mine, then yours melted so I ate that too."

She was incensed and cried "You shellfish bastard!!"