Will be in Austin, TX end of April..........

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
I'll try to make time after business to browse the shops in Austin. Rockadelic suggested Friends of Sound. Any fleas/swapmeets worth checking for records?

Also interested in seeing Oklahoma City.....what's good here?

PM me if there are shhh spots that you'd be willing to disclose to an out-of-towner. Not gonna be raiding the racks like some overseas dealer.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Friends of Sound on South Congress and Breakaway on North Loop...for records.

Alamo Pocket Park just off Manor, Patterson Park on Airport, East Woods Park just off campus, Clark Field on campus, and West Enfield Park at Mopac...for basketball.

La Mexicana on South 1st, Papalote on South Lamar, Tamale House on Airport, Mi Madre's on Manor, and Paco's on 51st...for tacos.

El Caribe on North Lamar...for enchiladas.

Ruby's on 29th and Sam's on East 12th...for barbeque.

Thirsty Goat Amber...for beer.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Word up. Thanks Bill.

Harvey, thanks for those recommendations. By "basketball", do you mean pickup games at the park? Between you and Rock, I think I got plenty of places to eat and drink now!

Austin County Flea worth checking?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I think most everything brought to the City Wide Garage sale and any Flea Market will be skated terds.

billbradley said:
    I think most everything brought to the City Wide Garage sale and any Flea Market will be skated terds.

Okay. Didn't seem too promising, but thanks for confirmation.

yuichi said:

Harvey, thanks for those recommendations. By "basketball", do you mean pickup games at the park?

Yep, all easy access places for you if you so choose.

Pick-up basketball was a way of life for me throughout the late-80's/early-90's. Clark Field in its former location was world famous and I would routinely play with dudes like Ray Jackson (Michigan), Albert Burditt (Texas), and Tony Watson (Texas). Since they moved it, I don't think Clark Field is as big a deal as it used to be, but it's still a very nice place to play with student players galore.

Bonus Beat: I've used Clark Field as a dj name from time to time.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Memory Mart still kickin' in OKC?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    harvey and yiuchi....team up and do a multi day reality show, please

tripledouble said:

haha. I'd be down to meet you too Harv. No hard feelings over here.

yuichi said:
    tripledouble said:

haha. I'd be down to meet you too Harv. No hard feelings over here.

Of course. Send me an email at r2g2_53@hotmail.com and we'll make it happen.

Been scoping the BBQ reviews on Yelp and what not. Harvey, I personally like the look of Sam's, looks like a hood spot. Is La Barbecue good? Sort of intimidating that these lines are huge....what's a typical wait time to eat lunch or dinner at Franklins or La Barbecue for example?

Rock, gonna try to check out the Inner Space Cavern with the co-workers. Ends up, I can't extend my stay with the plane ticket I got....so gonna stay in Austin for the entirety. Rental car with three other co-workers but gonna try to sneak in some record shopping over the weekend....

BBQ pictures makin' me salivate though....oh man. and i just ate dinner.

yuichi said:
    Been scoping the BBQ reviews on Yelp and what not. Harvey, I personally like the look of Sam's, looks like a hood spot. Is La Barbecue good? Sort of intimidating that these lines are huge....what's a typical wait time to eat lunch or dinner at Franklins or La Barbecue for example?

Rock, gonna try to check out the Inner Space Cavern with the co-workers. Ends up, I can't extend my stay with the plane ticket I got....so gonna stay in Austin for the entirety. Rental car with three other co-workers but gonna try to sneak in some record shopping over the weekend....

BBQ pictures makin' me salivate though....oh man. and i just ate dinner.

I haven't been to La Barbecue yet but the wait at Franklin's is 1.5 - 2 hours. They open at Noon and if you aren't there by 10 or 10:30 you probably aren't getting any BBQ because they'll sell out. Franklin does offer pre-orders now but you have to pick it up between 10:15 am and 10:35am.

https://franklinbarbecue.com/preorders/

Harvey is going to hate on Franklin probably but I think it is worth the hassle at least once. His brisket and ribs are pretty fucking good.

I'd love to love Franklin. I'm sure the food is amazing. But why wait in line for 2 hours for something that can't possibly be that much better than what I consider perfect brisket at Ruby's? Or really, why wait in a 2 hour line for anything?

And yes, Sam's is a traditional Texas bbq, made by black people joint. Worth the visit just for the photos on the walls, let alone the food.

Never been to La Barbeque.

Reporting in from Austin.

Been here for a few days. Travel's been limited due to one rental car with the co-workers, but I've managed to go to Inner Space Cavern, which was pretty cool. Get a piece of rib-eye at Land and Cattle Steakhouse. some Tex-Mex in Georgetown. and bought a few recs at Breakaway Records.

Saw the San Gabriel River, kids bass-fishing, which was cool.

Don't know if it's a Texas thing, but people here seem to be in less of a hurry than LA. which is cool.

Probably gonna take a dip at Barton Springs later in the afternoon, which Rockadelic suggested.

Digging the muggy weather too. LA is dry............

yuichi said:

Don't know if it's a Texas thing, but people here seem to be in less of a hurry than LA. which is cool.

It's all of the THC in the air.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Currently flying to Austin for work. Going to be in town until Thursday. All food and record suggestions have been noted. If anyone knows of anything else I need to see, hear, do, eat, drink, smoke, etc etc while in Austin lemme know. I don't know what work has in store for me but I might be able to break free to buy a beer for anyone who might be available. God knows I owe the entire Strut a beer at this point for my new jackedness and general clueless.

Flight attendant is telling me to pack up the laptop. Will check later. Anyone feel free to email me at jectwon@gmail.com

Peace...

Emailededed.

I am super busy again this week. Otherwise,I'd meet up and show you around town. Tonight there's a 45 thing that is typically pretty cool from 7:30pm to 10:30pm at Hotel San Jose on South Congress.

Sent dude to ABGB for lunch yesterday. Said he enjoyed it.

May be meeting up tonight. Friends of Sound has a local producer's beat thingy in the early hours tonight. And then they're doing a Low End Theory tribute at Skylark Lounge later in the evening.

All that after I do a deejay presentation for the kids at East Side Prep this afternoon.