Does Record Store Day Screw Small Labels?

SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
http://www.thefourohfive.com/news/article/does-record-store-day-screw-small-labels-139
"I think it's totally right that we celebrate record shops but it's sad that so much of the focus of Record Store Day is on major labels, past-it rock stars and unwanted reissues."

I think the author makes a valid point here. But then again it's "record store day" not "record label day."
I do think it's lame to see Aerosmith reissues and the like presented as something to get excited about for record store day....

Comments

• I'm not buying it.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Writer laments the use of word 'Store' instead of 'Shop' then goes on to use the phrase 'Butt Hurt'?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Record Store Day is lame as shit but it doesn't "hurt" anyone.

I spend next to no time or money ordering these faux-rare trinkets, I still do great business on the day, at absolute worst it is a minor pain in the butt to field the attendant calls/emails/etc

:dead:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I WANT MY BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN RED WHITE AND BLUE VINYLS!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

faux-rare trinkets

^^^^^^^this right fuckin here, um kinda tired of that shit as well add overpriced to that and you're right on the money..

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

To get back to the point of the article, there is no doubt that RSD clogs up the record pressing pipeline and causes delays (months) for small labels that aren't pressing 50,000 units or whatever. I was getting emails from plants telling me that if I wanted to do an RSD release, I had to have it in to the plant by early December. What this does is make it very difficult to keep a steady release schedule which can be essential to maintain interest in your label, not to mention that some of the larger distros may not want to handle your stuff if they can't count on you. It's particularly bad in the U.S. where there is a real shortage of pressing plants.

It hasn't affected me too much, but I know some people who have had issues.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Without a doubt it hurts a lot of labels. Pressing queues have literally doubled since January and many unsuspecting record labels and bands suddenly had their projects pushed back due to a frenzied traffic jam of orders all trying to hit the same deadline. You could say that maybe those bands and labels should have known it was coming and prepared accordingly, but it's definitely much worse than last year.

I've got no problem with anyone making RSD releases or the size of any label that wants to participate, but looking at the larger picture, the whole freak out to make hundreds of thousands of units for one day is a bigger problem than most people realize for an industry whose demand is larger than its supply. It might be good for record stores but it's been a trial for many record plants, brokers, labels and bands this year.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    To get back to the point of the article

I somehow thought the link was to the other "is RSD hurting..." article which was about small(er) shops. I must have been on autopilot.

But isn't this really the case year round at this point? Every time I ask about pressing some vinyl, I'm told the turnaround is pretty damn long regardless of the time of year. And I'd imagine that's because majors are clogging the pipeline with yet another big run of Led Zeppelin IV or Pet Sounds or Hard Day's Night. No?

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Horseleech said:
    To get back to the point of the article

I somehow thought the link was to the other "is RSD hurting..." article which was about small(er) shops. I must have been on autopilot.

But isn't this really the case year round at this point? Every time I ask about pressing some vinyl, I'm told the turnaround is pretty damn long regardless of the time of year. And I'd imagine that's because majors are clogging the pipeline with yet another big run of Led Zeppelin IV or Pet Sounds or Hard Day's Night. No?

Yeah, this is true, the Beatles reissues were a big problem apparently. I just think RSD aggravates it, It kind of wipes out almost half of the year.

It makes it really hard to announce a release date because you don't really know when you are going to get your product until it is in your hands. I'm sure pressing plants mean well, but, most of them can't be trusted when they tell you that you'll have your records in 4 weeks or whatever. I know several bands who were screwed because their records weren't ready in time for their tour and they were really counting on having them to sell on the road.

The real problem isn't RSD per se, it's the majors who are making a bunch of pointless releases to cash in on old recordings that have long since paid for themselves. At least 90% of the worthwhile RSD titles come from the smaller labels.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I remember in the early 90s Goldmine magazine was full of ads from pressing plants selling off their machinery.
    Shoulda copped.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I've looked into starting a plant several times - I think the logistics are so complicated and the overhead so intense that I've been scared away each time. Instead, I bought an old machine that fabricates (ie. cuts, glues and folds) 12" record jackets, which is also a pretty rare find, and that's been fun and easier to manage. I figure every record needs a jacket...