Y'all hear how The Wu plans to release its upcoming album?

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2014/03/26/why-wu-tang-will-release-just-one-copy-of-its-secret-album/

How are they going to prevent a leak? Do you think people will pay to attend those listening parties at these museums? It's an interesting idea and I look forward to seeing how it plays out. I really hope a leak doesn't prevent it from getting a fair shot.

B/W

Best Wu gif I've seen in a minute...

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If they stack enough gimmicks around this release, maybe no one will notice that the music on it isn't anything all that special.

Seriously, I was as big a Wu fan as anyone, but it boggles my mind that anyone would be excited over a new Wu release in 2014.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Someone will still have the masters right? If so, that doesn't seem in line with the spirit of one-of-a-kindness.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I don't even want RZA to be able to listen to it at home in his studio.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yawn

what a gimmicky crock of shit

these guys all hate the rza and resent him for many reasons
    yet 80% of the time they fall flat on they face without him

someone must have ponied up and paid the chef to get involved in this kitsch

i hope it doesn't suck but it's been a long time since the wu complete has offered anything worthwhile,kinda like metallica

meth has a solo thang coming out soon too
    we'll see

nomatterwhat least we can always count on ghost to hold it steady and keep it proper wally gangster

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I enjoyed the feature in Grantland where the author caught up with every member of the clan ('cept 'Face) and Cappadonna to chat about the history of the group that the white folks in that Portlandia skit refer to as the Wu-Tan Clan.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Dope gif! 31 tracks and 128 minutes is too long for any good album, especially one you have to sit in a museum to listen to.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Like a lot of art I like the idea more than the art itself. Better to say all this and then release it in a year or two anyhow with no announcement.

If they stick to the program it shouldn't be too hard to prevent a leak. Only one copy that people have to listen to on headphones in a guarded museum. Being a double LP it's really going to limit the amount of people that can listen each day. Unless it sucks so bad people stop listening. I would listen to the whole things just for the hell of it if I didn't have to wait in line for hours. I'm sure some museum goers will review it and post lyrics online.

I'm assuming who every can afford to buy this wouldn't rip it and post online until they are broke and need the money. They will want to brag and play it for friends for a while first.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Jean Michel Jarre did this shit already

I would think they'd want to rid the barriers keeping people from hearing their music opposed to creating new ones.

Live shows and licensing is where their money will be, not in album sales/downloads.

So I'm really not sure what they are trying to protect with this utter weirdness.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I like how it says "recorded in secret" as if anyone was really paying attention. Not like nobody cares about them, but come on.

B/w

Winning bidder asks for money back after realizing It's 85% u-god.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Winning bidder has regret months after when he realizes the silver case doesn't fit on any of his shelves, claims he was swept up in what he calls the "Get On Down" effect.
    "That Raekwon piano lacquer purple tape was one thing, but I think I got carried away this time."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fetishized

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Seriously, I was as big a Wu fan as anyone, but it boggles my mind that anyone would be excited over a new Wu release in 2014.

Yeah, I think 97% of Wu fans feel the same way but wouldn't admit it. Rae's last LP from a few years back was good...and Rza free, if I recall.

Honestly, going all the way back to the Forever double LP...I feel like the amount of songs that I actually enjoy on that could have been boiled down to an EP and any group efforts after that have been very misguided, unfocused and not to my taste.

I'm just interested in this approach. It's no doubt a gimmick. I wonder if it will make money.

My guess is someone will leak it before hand.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Wu has been basurington since Forever.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Wu has been basurington since Forever.

They could have tossed around half of Forever in the bin, and still had a good album.

The last actual Wu album I liked was The W; some great shit on there. A few tracks each off the albums since, and that's it, pretty much. Goes without saying they were as big a deal as they came during the 90s, but they've been running on fumes for years. The only people seriously checking for them as far as I can tell are the same people who rave breathlessly about PE as if they're still as good as they were in 1990.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Winning bidder has regret months after when he realizes the silver case doesn't fit on any of his shelves, claims he was swept up in what he calls the "Get On Down" effect.
    "That Raekwon piano lacquer purple tape was one thing, but I think I got carried away this time."

:comedy_gold:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Winning bidder asks for money back after realizing It's 85% u-god.

:sonned:

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I agree with pretty much everything Kala said.

I would love the Wu to come back hard with some crazy good shit... but the chances of that happening seem pretty slim. So often they just sound bored on these records. If RZA came up with some crazy weird shit and got the entire clan stoned on some weird drugs then i bet it would sound good.

drugs.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    batmon said:
    Fetishized

since day one dude.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    let it go

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    This whole mess reminds me of the Metalocalypse episode when the band records an album on an old Russian nuclear sub in the depths of the Mariana Trench and releases an album only meant for fishes...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    THE LONG-AWAITED CILVARINGZ-ONLY PRODUCTION WU ALBUM. I BID ELEVENTY BILLION DOLLARS.

It's 2014...conversations about how bad the Wu have become and making fun of their fan boys is as played as the people who worship every Wu track ever.

I'm way less interested in the fact that Wu has annoying fas who won'y let go, and more interested in the vehicle/gimmick they choose to deliver an album.

I mean, is there a musical group out there that could pull this off? I think the closest legitimate approach to this is when Jay Z convinced Samsung that buying a million copies of 'Magna' Carta' was going to help them sell phones....you just have to convince that one schmuck, company.

If Radiohead pulled some shit like this, I bet they'd make a ton of money off the listening party circle jerk museum events and some dude would spend a ton on the 'single copy album' release...hell, there'd probably be a biddung war over it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wu actually makes decent coin on it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    JectWon said:

Dude. Cilvaringz.

DB_Cooper said:
    JectWon said:

Dude. Cilvaringz.

Dammit.....*sigh*, you're right. I still stand by my assumption that there is some group out there that could pull this caper off. Think PONO copping Neil Young fans...they got money.

All this corporate tie-in bullshit is just that.

Music. It stands alone.

An artist or artist handler trying to get Cribs-level money. That's where the bullshit begins.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    this is an obvious publicity stunt and the album will be released to the masses eventually and the Wu win again, again and again.....

• tech12ztech12z 56 Posts
    TIL: stuff only counts as art if it's unobtainable.