graemlin tech specs?

SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
So I have been cutting and pasting in photoshop to make some custom graemlins, does anyone have templates or at least info on where I can find the base stuff...

What is the font used for the text?
Where is the word balloon from?

I am not at the animated stage yet, but I can work static images pretty well.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Saracenus said:
    So I have been cutting and pasting in photoshop to make some custom graemlins, does anyone have templates or at least info on where I can find the base stuff...

What is the font used for the text?
    Where is the word balloon from?

I am not at the animated stage yet, but I can work static images pretty well.

Thanks in advance...

There's no standard font, you just have to hunt around for an aliased typeface that looks pixel-y. I always used "VT100" which used to be one of the fonts found in pre-OSX mac systems.

Likewise, I don't know the exact origin of the word balloon (Mike2600?), but it should be easy to cut out using magic wand select because it's aliased in most graemlins. You can cut it into a new layer, and then just erase the existing text and put your own text over the blank balloon.

:krusty:

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Yeah, no specifics. Or at least none I ever knew of.

One thing to remember is transparency. You might be using a soulstrut theme that has a white background, but many forums and some themes on here don't have white backgrounds. I didn't think of that when I was making things at first. You end up with a white box around everything instead of a nice clean image that works anywhere. As far as I know, the only way to do that in Photoshop is to publish for web as a gif, but I don't know the right way to do any of that stuff and just learned by accident.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Yeah, no specifics. Or at least none I ever knew of.

One thing to remember is transparency. You might be using a soulstrut theme that has a white background, but many forums and some themes on here don't have white backgrounds. I didn't think of that when I was making things at first. You end up with a white box around everything instead of a nice clean image that works anywhere. As far as I know, the only way to do that in Photoshop is to publish for web as a gif, but I don't know the right way to do any of that stuff and just learned by accident.

.PNG will also handle transparency. Your file will be slightly bigger than a .JPG.