Get On Up - James Brown Bio Pic

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
Directed By Tate Taylor

Slated for late summer which used to be a death spot for film not sure if it still is.

What does the strut think?

Comments

• looks like a tv movie of the week, i will download it for free when it comes out but no way am i hauling myself to a theater for this. by the way, that title is pretty awful and that bobby byrd's line anyhow. does anybody think there is even a slight chance that will be good or shed any light on JB?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Looks great!
    They captured his Muddy Waters period.
    His epic fights with Maceo Parker where he schooled Maceo on funk.
    Has everything from his momma leaving him right after he was born up to his crack infused police chases. Sure to be able to get an understanding of the man in 2 hours with all that.
    And as if that wasn't enough it is from the director of The Help.

I will see it and enjoy it.
    I think the musical bio I have not enjoyed was Cadillac Records.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    looks like a tv movie of the week, i will download it for free when it comes out but no way am i hauling myself to a theater for this. by the way, that title is pretty awful and that bobby byrd's line anyhow. does anybody think there is even a slight chance that will be good or shed any light on JB?

I didn't get a movie of a week vibe, my first thoughts were that this was a paint by numbers type deal with James Brown replacing Ray Charles as the key figure. I felt bad after but I kind of laughed at the part in the trailer where he reunites with his mom.

I doubt it'll really shed any light, if you want a real good read on James Brown I recommend the GQ article that came out about a year after his death

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/music/200903/james-brown-legacy-money-millions

• if it doesn't include his appearance on wheel of fortune with little richard the whole thing is a sham.

Who is playing James?
    Is he going to be singing?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Lafayette finally getting some non-True Blood shine.

Reg Mackleworthy in there as well.

The speaking voice is not quite there. I see what he's trying to do but it's not working.

oh schitt: Ralph E. Tresvant ... Sam Cooke

Guzzo said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    looks like a tv movie of the week, i will download it for free when it comes out but no way am i hauling myself to a theater for this. by the way, that title is pretty awful and that bobby byrd's line anyhow. does anybody think there is even a slight chance that will be good or shed any light on JB?

I didn't get a movie of a week vibe, my first thoughts were that this was a paint by numbers type deal with James Brown replacing Ray Charles as the key figure. I felt bad after but I kind of laughed at the part in the trailer where he reunites with his mom.

yeah when the music abruptly stops and they say his mom is here to see him...I giggled. so corny.

Don't we have a Who Should Play James Brown thread?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm gonna watch the fuck outta this

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    executive producer is mick jagger yo

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Sharen Davis and Ruth Carter must raid the same thrift stores. I don't care if it will be trite behind-the-music type stuff, even though it probably would. It's James Fucking Brown on the big screen. I've spent $15 on weaker movies.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Man, I hate biopics...

Sidenote...anyone have a favorite JB documentary? I can't recall one that really gets the job done.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I can see why it was said that its looks like a TV movie.

52 had that feel. It was always just the cast and a studio set.
    No real people scenes. And the cinematography is so sterile. No texture at all.

If they do the Car Chase and the Living In America, could the Africa Bambaataa collabo be referenced, and will sampling be touched on?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Good actors

Looks bad

Will watch on Netflix just to see Craig's Maceo

Recently watched.

I am the resident fan of bio pics.
    I enjoyed this for a while, by the end I was glad it was over.
    Why oh why do they insist on covering the whole career?
    Pick one conflict; James v Sid Nathan, James v Bobby Byrd, James v Maceo, James v the Flames, James v the woman who shit in his toilet, James v his first wife, James v his second wife, James v his third wife...
    The movie tells one boring story, James was unique and followed his vision.

I learned that Bobby Byrd (according to the movie) was married to Vicki Anderson for many years. Though the movie never tells us who Vicki Anderson is.

The constant flashbacks and flash forwards were not artsy or good story telling. By the end they were just annoying. We already know he was poor and alone, don't keep showing us.

The most annoying part was post crack, they continued to show him as young and beautiful. In life he was old, fat and ugly.

Music was good.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Movie was OK... didn't love it, but it had its moments.

Much more worthwhile was the "Mr. Dynamite" documentary that HBO was showing, don't know if it's still available.