Record Store - Seattle-R

parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
I assume Seattle Strutters know about this?

http://m.theatlanticcities.com/arts-and-lifestyle/2011/12/record-store-where-nothing-sale/725/

At the new Record Store in Seattle, you can???t buy anything. But you can listen to any of the thousands of vinyl records on display there. Visitors are encouraged to engage in the lost art of music foraging in a bricks and mortar store.

There???s nothing virtual about it, no Pandora or Spotify to curate, though there will be guest DJs. Presented by Seattle Art Museum, in collaboration with Olson Kundig Architects, Record Store aims to remove the barrier between artist and audience, encouraging community participation and an intriguing alternative way of listening to music sans ear buds.

The project is "one of those projects where the final outcome is unknown. It's a genuine experiment,??? explains Alan Maskin, Principal at Olson Kundig. The collaborators were intrigued by the "idea that vinyl records can be a catalyst and tool that people work with in order to understand other narratives.

Designed as a traveling installation, Record Store is currently located at 406 Occidental Avenue just off of South Jackson Street - a zone American soldiers were forbidden to enter during the World War II era because it was perceived to be dive-y and dangerous. In reality, it was home to black clubs and hangouts where a music scene thrived.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    parallax said:
    I assume Seattle Strutters know about this?

I believe that exhibit closed some time ago. Pretty sure it was only around for a few months.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Crazy. And stupid. So stupid it might just work.

"Visitors are encouraged to engage in the lost art of music foraging in a bricks and mortar store."
    It's like a place to practice before you go into a real record store.

"Record Store aims to remove the barrier between artist and audience"
    I would say that records are a barrier between artist and audience.

"The collaborators were intrigued by the "idea that vinyl records can be a catalyst and tool that people work with in order to understand other narratives."
    Sounds impressive, means almost nothing. What other narratives are better understood after listening to a record?

Racism in the US Army during WWII was on full display in Seattle. The history is very interesting.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    What a bunch of pretentious nonsense. It would be interesting if it was actually filled with holy grails and a Running Man style exit route where you get to keep the grail if you can make it out alive! All executed with paintball of course, no real death.If the record gets hit with a paint ball you have to pay the full blown late 90's early 2000's ebay price.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    All the hassle of record stores and record store people without the records? GTFOHWTBS.