texas jobs

2»

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    it seems that the east side of I-35 in Austin has become the spot where locals go to get away from the tourist trap that 6th Street has become.

Harvey....what year did you move to Texas?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    it seems that the east side of I-35 in Austin has become the spot where locals go to get away from the tourist trap that 6th Street has become.

I'll address Jonathan's message after lunch.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    it's the type of people[del] moving here[/del] now [del]that [/del]sucks.

all people sux worse now.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:

That's really weird because I specifically asked the state to stop allowing people to move here the day after I arrived in 1979!

Yeah right?

Alternate thread title: I AM GETTING OLD AND IT SUCKS.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have noticed in Oregon that it is the transplants who cry and moan the most about people moving in from CA and ruining it.

I think for native Oregonians they have constantly watched their state change and grow with the times.
    For transplants (like me) they moved here for a specific reasons and any change means it is all over.

One thing Oregon started doing in the 70s was long term land planning, and transportation planning.

LaserWolf said:
    I have noticed in Oregon that it is the transplants who cry and moan the most about people moving in from CA and ruining it.

I think for native Oregonians they have constantly watched their state change and grow with the times.
    For transplants (like me) they moved here for a specific reasons and any change means it is all over.

One thing Oregon started doing in the 70s was long term land planning, and transportation planning.

Absolutely. My family moved from California to the Seattle area in 1979. A week hasn't gone by since that I haven't heard someone moan about "Californians." I don't know who they mean, or when's the cutoff dates, or really what is the solution? Or is it even a problem that's worth discussing?

HAYBRO you're not in traffic you ARE traffic!

California has a lot of people in it, and it's close. You're going to meet some people from California bro. And they're on it--they're from California. They've been leasing their BMW's, they've been waiting in lines at CVS, they're used to chaos. They are HYPED to pay 400 dollars more per month for that apartment, and money talks.

Fuck!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:

HAYBRO you're not in traffic you ARE traffic!

jlee said:
    Harvey -
    Do you get the sense that Austin is fighting the growth with the hope of returning back to the "Keep Austin Weird" days? When I left 9+ years ago, you could start to see the East side opening up to more development (and traffic was already pretty crappy), but there still seemed to be a large contingent that expected Austin to plateau at "mid sized" level and thus never seemed to really plan for this expansion that has happened over the past 5yrs.

I've suspected that the bust of the S&L and Oil industry in the 80's and the Tech-bust in the early 00's had lead people to think that the ebb-and-flow of various industries and economies was always going to keep the population somewhat level. Also, I don't think many people expected Austin downtown proper to expand as much (instead assuming that yuppies would just live in West Lake or up north closer to Dell).

While I cannot comment on the influx of new people moving into Austin anymore, I get the feeling that the existing population really did a poor job of anticipating for this --- and as was alluded to earlier, Austin has always been pretty desirable place to live (barring traffic), so I just don't feel that all can be blamed on the transplants.

B/W, let's hope you guys get this fixed soon...I may be moving back there in a few years ..

Traffic-wise, yes, the planning has been terrible. No light rail until recently and it's still extremely limited. And there are only a handful of major roads running north-south. And now they're trying to fix the problems with tollways.

Housing-wise, it wasn't until less than 10 years ago that many even considered living downtown-downtown. And now there are high-rise condos going up all over the place. Post-oil boom of the 80's, there was a problem in that during the boom they built too much office space so when things went bust there was quite the excess. We'll see if it becomes another case of over-building (I hope so) except this time it will be excess condos. Actually, there is one high-rise they built a year or so ago that sat practically empty for a long stretch. I wonder how full the place is now.

Big_Stacks said:
    parallax said:
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    used to visit/perform in Austin frequently in the mid-90s til the early aughts. Loved it. Dj'd there back in late January and I can say I fell outta like with Austin. Traffic was fucking insane (recent NPR report stated that in 20 years, the metro Austin population will top 3 million..and a commute that currently takes 45 minutes will top out at 90 minutes...traffic infrastructure was only designed to handle around 300,000)...leaving Austin by entering 35 from Manor, it took me over a hour to hit Round Rock, ridiculous. My buddies rent a thousand square foot home in east Austin, in a semi-crappy neighborhood for $1,300. Absurd. Just not a very fun place to hang out anymore.

You'd fucking HATE California

All of Cali?

I ask because I'm thinking of making a move to San Diego.

Good idea? Or :walkaway: ?

Hey Parallax,

While San Diego is physically beautiful, I found its cultural climate generic and boring (reminded me of a beach-like version of Houston suburbs). Also, I found LA disappointing, sort of plastic in feel (soulless), and lacking in charm and character. Go to the Bay area!

Peace

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Culturally, what Big Stacks says is likely true, although Mexico itself is indeed right next door to San Diego.

But something that also should be said is that the beaches are night and day between San Diego and the Bay Area. In San Diego the water is still Pacific chilly, but perfectly manageable. Meanwhile, in the Bay Area you practically have to be a professional waterman in a full body wetsuit complete with hat and booties to deal with that wild ocean water for more than a little bit at a time. And if you find yourself swimming among seals, which is common, you might as well call yourself shark-bait.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    as far as my "hating Cali"...I would like to state I spent a couple months living in Echo Park and that was 100x more enjoyable than my last 2 days I spent in Austin. Of course, one has different expectations when you are talking L.A. versus Austin, TX. I stand by my opinion.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just how hip is Austin?
    Justin Bieber is playing SXSW.

• The truth is that the vast majority of population growth in Texas is due to an increase in the Hispanic population there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/us/18texas.html?_r=0

This is also why the Texas GOP is shitting bricks and growing more angry and crazy by the day.

Texas also ranks about 30th in per capita income and has a terrible educational system, a terrible health care system, a rancid environment, and an injustice system.

But in tough times desperate and unskilled people are willing to put up with such things in order to work in box stores and gas stations and industrial sites that occasionally blow up due to the state's "Shit Happens" policy on worker safety.

Oh, well. At least guns are easy to buy and you can get Jeezus on the radio every minute of every day.

Did I mention they have a Governor who has decided that wearing glasses makes him look smart?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^ delete/ban

LaserWolf said:
    Just how hip is Austin?
    Justin Bieber is playing SXSW.

I just realized you were not joking.
    :game_over:

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Corporate money took over SXSW many years ago. It isn't all bad though.