Great NYC Gang Doc (Flyin' Cut Sleeves)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Oh man...thank you for this. Looks awesome. I might repost the links in the documentary thread we have going, if thats cool with you. It's become a pretty good repository for docs that I've been meaning to watch.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    one of the dudes responsible for bringing this out has strut connections via Cosmo & Nate B

saw a screening a few years ago and it's worth seeking out, very very dope. a good compliment to 80 Blocks From Tiffanys

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    one of the dudes responsible for bringing this out has strut connections via Cosmo & Nate B

saw a screening a few years ago and it's worth seeking out, very very dope. a good compliment to 80 Blocks From Tiffanys

Aren't you thinking of 80 Blocks, Jonny?

I thought Henry Chalfant put this out himself.

They're both great documentaries thought and easily available. There's some other NYC gang doc stuff which are much more hardcore... and not available online.

We showed some of that stuff at the Maysles Cinema in Harlem some years ago.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I recall this being talked about on SS years ago.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    dreskieboogie said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Aren't you thinking of 80 Blocks, Jonny?

I thought Henry Chalfant put this out himself.

They're both great documentaries thought and easily available. There's some other NYC gang doc stuff which are much more hardcore... and not available online.

We showed some of that stuff at the Maysles Cinema in Harlem some years ago.

you're right.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    great docs. saw them ten years ago and ready for a rewatch.
    been reading "cant stop wont stop" off my gf's bookshelf when i have time to kill and it mentions both docs when it gets into a lot of the bronx gang history and members that were around the ghetto brothers, the gang truces and the eventual rise of bambaataa and the zulus. pretty good book so far that fleshes out a lot of charafcters and specifics from that era

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Cant Stop Dont Stop loses it after the Bronx stuff.

• batmon said:
    I recall this being talked about on SS years ago.

Yes, it's been discussed on here several times.

Agreed on Cant Stop.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm still waiting on that new doc. Rubble something. Supported it on Kickstarter, got the t-shirt but I'm still waiting on the actual doc.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Herm said:
    I'm still waiting on that new doc. Rubble something. Supported it on Kickstarter, got the t-shirt but I'm still waiting on the actual doc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/763217113/rubble-kings-a-feature-length-documentary

My only issue with Flyin'... is that they don't discuss the making of their vests/jackets.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    batmon said:
    Cant Stop Dont Stop loses it after the Bronx stuff.

uhoh. thats right about what im heading into next...
    just entered the downtown meets uptown section which is still fun