Local record fair organizer is shit for ripping off musicians fund

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
Might not be of much interest stateside but it is 'rekkids' related

Sorry I can't embed but here's the link to the clip of a new story about it.

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8806658/mo-awards-demands-answers-over-missing-funds

So the Parramatta Record Fair in Sydney has been going sine the 90s. 4 times a year. This guy Glen took over several years ago and he has been putting on his flyers and shit that all money would go to the Mo Awards (which he is/was a chairmen of). He got discounted hire of the town hall based on that.

The Mo Awards also does a fund for musicians on hard times. Apparently this guy Glen has never paid a cent from the record fair profits to the fund. Now all the old timers have the shits cause they see him making money on the back of the MO Awards name.

The news story is pretty one sided (ACA are a a tabloid sensationalist type outlet) but I have dealt with this guy as a record stall holder for years - he is a full on douche, arrogant and condescending and has done a shit job of promoting and running the fair (so much so I haven't done the last two).

That said I never attended the fair or sold at it due to the MO Awards charity association - I don;t think anyone did. But I'm kinda pissed off cause we were paying $150 for a 6ft table and this c**t was only paying a 23 an hour to hire the hall (from 7am to 3pm) - plus charging for entry. And they did fuck all promotion - not even a Facebook page. There would be at least 30 stalls each show (some paying lots more than me).

Only shame is that the show will probably not continue and that shit was like an institution in Sydney - I've probably pulled a good chunk of my collection from attending that fair. :(

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah I saw this Loko. Like you, I have probbaly pulled adecent amnount of my collection from this fair, and certainly when I started seriously digging, this was a key avenue for me to find stuff.

F*** this Glen guy though. I always thought he looked a bit shady but I never knew anything about him. Parramatta Council is threatening legal action to recoup the cost because as you say, he got away with paying charity rates for use of the community hall when the comercial rent would have been a few grand. That's the real clincher.

Down-side is it probably will mean the end of this fair. Hope it doesn't affect Glebe!