Funk Music 20th Century Box 1980

francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
Not sure if this has been posted on here yet, its certainly doing the rounds at the moment.
Its a documentary about the about the Jazz Funk scene here in the UK in the early 80's.
Its only just made it onto youtube and today I've been chatting with (and recently DJing) with the guy who upped it, he was one of Froggys Original Road Crew, and is featured in the footage.

Sorry if its been posted already, but its such a great insight to the scene I wouldn't want anyone to miss it.

Comments

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    not sure if my embedding of the clip worked, so heres the direct link:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    latte pas

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:

Yeah, another thing I forgot to mention in the earlier thread was that this film was only shown in the Greater London area at the time, so the first time I ever saw it was just before I posted it. The presenter, Danny Baker, who's since gone on to become an award-winning and somewhat revered broadcaster in the UK, had just come off a short stint editing legendary English punk zine Sniffin' Glue (taking over from founder Mark Perry) just before it folded, and was then working at the NME. This series was his first presenting gig. Fun fact: he was the last-ever UK print journalist to interview Michael Jackson, for the NME in 1982.

20th Century Box was an early attempt by LWT, one of the regional TV stations covering London & the South East, to give burgeoning youth movements and other pop culture phenomena a similar platform to the more formal arts programming of the time. This one, on the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, features the o.g. line-up of Iron Maiden, with Paul Di'Anno on vocals.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    here the flyer for the night: