Funk bands that didn't record a thing

meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Theres plenty of em... and plenty of one sheets and press photo's left behind to prove they existed. Who was jammin in your hoods and not pressing 45s or not releasing their recordings? I got a live tape of a band called "Mulato Band" from Miami circa 1971 that destroys shit.

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    the REAL underdogs

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    You are too deep for us.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Theres plenty of em... and plenty of one sheets and press photo's left behind to prove they existed. Who was jammin in your hoods and not pressing 45s or not releasing their recordings? I got a live tape of a band called "Mulato Band" from Miami circa 1971 that destroys shit.

I think Dante knows about one or two of them

Curtis Rodgers (People's Choice, Spot & the Blotters etc.) told me he worked with a bunch of local Grand Rapids acts that never put anything out. Palmer James and Curtis Rodger's high school soul/doo-wop group, the Creations, for instance, never recorded anything despite packing every venue they played. None of the work Al Green did with the People's Choice was ever recorded either. I also heard tell of a white dude that toured West Michigan doing James Brown-style originals with a backing band that sounded like a cross between the JB's and Funkadelic.

Supposedly the Black on White Affair reformed as the Black on Black Affair after their output on Topaz, but I'm not aware of any releases under that name.

I recently learned that the Indiana funk outfit Black Magic used to play with a bunch of similar-sounding local bands, including one called the "Candy Snaps" (!!!!). Considering the limited run of the Black Magic 45, it's probably safe to say that the Candy Snaps never commited anything to wax.......or did they?

By the way, "Candy Snaps" gets my vote for hardest sounding band name EVAR!!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    wow, that is pretty deep

I've got something from Amarillo circa 1969 that's pretty damn

have to dig that shit out.

why not post some audio and get this thing on some ?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Never caught their name (I was a grade-school kid at the time), but I remember being at a neighborhood block party in Chicago in 1977 where the entertainment was a funk band doing hits of the day. They wore matching black T-shirts and denim jeans, and had a horn section that may have been playing from written charts. I mainly recall that they opened up with the "Theme From S.W.A.T.".

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I also heard tell of a white dude that toured West Michigan doing James Brown-style originals with a backing band that sounded like a cross between the JB's and Funkadelic.

Actually, they did put out 3 records. KICK OUT THE JAMS was probably my favorite.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I also heard tell of a white dude that toured West Michigan doing James Brown-style originals with a backing band that sounded like a cross between the JB's and Funkadelic.

Actually, they did put out 3 records. KICK OUT THE JAMS was probably my favorite.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

this band is from Texarkana, TX - curious if they released anything...

this flyer came with a letter to Motown( handwritten w/ cross-outs on notebook paper) asking for an audition - they claim that their best song is called "I'm Gonna Be Cool"

---

• Washington DC area got pretty crazy with a few groups that never recorded anything, for example:

Fabulous Dealers. They reformed farther down the road (in the mid 70's) and released a 45 but with different members and an unrelated group name. From what I was told, they seriously cooked on the club circuit in the early 70's. The main members (one's that didn't change) were 2 brothers and I believe a third brother was involved from time to time. I wish they had recorded something on reel.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    You are too deep for us.

• make some mp3s out of those tapes dude! i wanna hear a couple tracks. grrrrrrrrriiitttttttt

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    You are too deep for us.

"Call that obscure? I'm only into bands that never even existed..."

---

• galaxygalaxy 62 Posts

Supposedly the Black on White Affair reformed as the Black on Black Affair after their output on Topaz, but I'm not aware of any releases under that name.

heard this same thing but no one has confirmed it though..

45s by Punchy & Roulettei, a band from early 70's located in Atlanta has eluded me.. the leader of the group said that they were in studio and recorded 3 to 5 original compositions, but he cant recall who payed for the sessions and who possibly put out the 2 45's that should've been put out.. any info?

• There will be an appendix in my upcoming Funk book that tells of known bands without any recorded output. It's grown to be a massive index.
    Here's a couple from the B's and S's:

Black Brass Axe (Columbia, SC 72-73)
    Black Essex (Youngstown, OH 76)
    Black Funk Experience (Indianapolis, IN 73)
    Black Funk Revue (Miami, FL late 60s)
    Black Genesis (Durham, NC 76)
    Black Haze (Cleveland, OH 75)
    Black Magic Rhythm Band (San Francisco, CA 71)
    Black Rock Advancement (Kansas City, MO, early 70s)
    Black Rose Express (Cincinnati, OH 75)
    Black Satin Soul (Dayton, OH 75)
    Blind Justice Band (Columbus, OH 72)
    Bliss Transition (Seattle, WA 69)
    Spiritualistic Convoy (Dallas, TX 69)
    Steel Warehouse (Akron, OH 76)
    Strictly Soul Unlimited (San Francisco, CA late 60s)
    Students of Soul (Morehead, KY early 70s)
    Swamp Man (Columbia, SC late 60s)
    Sweet Funk Musical Express (San Antonio, TX early 70s)
    Sweet Sugar (Columbus, OH 72)
    Swinging Soul Sultans (Bronx, NY 69)
    Symphonic Revolution (Columbia, SC 74)

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

this band is from Texarkana, TX - curious if they released anything...

this flyer came with a letter to Motown( handwritten w/ cross-outs on notebook paper) asking for an audition - they claim that their best song is called "I'm Gonna Be Cool"

---

anything to do w/ mike jackson & the soul providers

?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    That's a "fake reissue", new band posing as an old band I believe... So no.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

There will be an appendix in my upcoming Funk book that tells of known bands without any recorded output. It's grown to be a massive index.

It will probably be an encyclopedia. I mean, who fits in there? High School and college bands? There's probably millions.

• There will be an appendix in my upcoming Funk book that tells of known bands without any recorded output. It's grown to be a massive index.

It will probably be an encyclopedia. I mean, who fits in there? High School and college bands? There's probably millions.

Dante, any word on when your book will be out? Inquisitive minds want to know.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

There will be an appendix in my upcoming Funk book that tells of known bands without any recorded output. It's grown to be a massive index.

Those names are so fuckin'

"Black Brass Axe" ??

"Black Rock Advancement" !!

"Bliss Transition" ~~

• Punchy & Roulettei, a band from early 70's located in Atlanta

Might be this:

Early Warning System ???Success Story/ Pt. 2??? (EWS 1201)
    Punchy & Early Warning System ???Whole Lotta Jammin???/ Git It??? (E.W.S. 1202) 1976

They have a 1977 record on Polydor as well.
    The EWS were based around local Georgia player Early Clover.
    That's all I know.

Graf-- The list comes from bands who advertised in local papers, interviews with other funk musicians and so on.

KidInquisitive-- Good question!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Here's 3 New Zealand R&B/Soul/Funk bands that never recorded.
    Killing Floor (Auckland 67-71)
    Mojo Men (Auckland 67-68)
    Stax-Volt Revue (Auckland 68-70)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Dante, add the Soul Machine from New Orleans to your list. Soul Machine was Aaron and Cyril Neville, with Sam Henry on Piano, Bull Dog Bonnie drums, GAry Brown Sax, and Richard Amos Bass. Late 68-69?.

Art Neville and Neville Sounds was the Meters plus Aaron, Cyril and Brown. 67-68?

• "Early Warning System ???Success Story/ Pt. 2??? (EWS 1201)"

is this one hard to get?
    I heard it's a killer "disco" funk track

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    My new shit is collecting imaginary funk records that don't exist. I've got millions and they're all really rare.

-e

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Granny Goose & the Soul Chips (San Francisco)
    Hard Hittin Harlems (Seaside, CA)
    Uniques (Seaside, CA)

im too tired to think anymore... there are MAD amounts of groups out here in the Bay Area that rocked shows... i have some HS shows on reel that i need to transfer. maybe some winners?

• "Early Warning System ???Success Story/ Pt. 2??? (EWS 1201)"

is this one hard to get?

I heard it's a killer "disco" funk track

It's nice, I play my copy out here and there. One side has a hip hop tempo-ed jam and the other is (I think) more disco oriented.

Dante, add the Soul Machine from New Orleans to your list. Soul Machine was Aaron and Cyril Neville, with Sam Henry on Piano, Bull Dog Bonnie drums, GAry Brown Sax, and Richard Amos Bass. Late 68-69?.

Art Neville and Neville Sounds was the Meters plus Aaron, Cyril and Brown. 67-68?

Interesting to read about "Soul Machine" members as I have a 45 by Gary Brown & Soul Machine 2 on Cotch label. I wonder they are different musicians.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    There's a new group out in the bay Area called brown bagging. They're dope but I don;t think they have anything recorded.

• Freaky Executives, heavy jazz-funk band, 1988 San Francisco (Bay Area), I think trombone player was previous or later with Defunkt