OUYA

vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

anybody fusk with one of these yet? my dude just got one and he says he's really happy with it. first download was a free xmbc "add-on" and instantly made torrents and netflix redundant. essentially free movies/cable. i dont know how the whole "game console" end of it, but it seems like the open source, expandable and hackable all in one thing might be the play going forward.....

..... and $99 aint bad either.

i've filled the order out on amazon, but waiting until tomorrow morning before i press submit. who's got some input on this?

Comments

• Sounds interesting. More info please. The netflix/cable angle is interesting, especially at $99.

• asked for $950,000 from kickstarter donations, got $8.6 million. that's gotta count for something. i just haven't actually SEEN one in use yet.... like, i have kinda mega cable TV right now (fibeOp HD) but if this thing does even HALF the things it says, at 720p or better it's something that definitely needs to be considered.

and the ethos of not only accepting but trying to EMPLOY the "hacker" community is a pretty interesting angle. they're inviting people to take the shit apart and see if they can make it better. if you email them they'll send you the blueprints and shit. anything beyond plugging it in and playing some games or watching some movies is way above my head, but leaving it up to the public to drive it forward is a pretty awesome tactic.

• can it play commercial console games or is it just janky homebrew games?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Not OUYA.

But I've been running openemu (think XBMC for your old Roms) off my mac mini for the last bit using all the ROMs I've collected over the years. Using my playstation controller...

http://openemu.org/

This, plus Plex for all my movies, tv...

I'm surprised I ever leave the house.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Interesting!

Do you know if online gaming is an option for OUYA?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I watched with anticipation during it's development but then heard quiet a few grumbles from the early adopters and lost interest. It could, and should, have improve since then though.

The gaming side of it didn't have much appeal from what I heard of it. Hopefully it can develop into something to rival the market places that you have systems like Xbox or iTunes but as far as I know it's rather limited for now, so I don't see how it can better and therefore replace either of those thing. The possibility is there though, although it isn't particularly powerful so it's never going to challenge the latest games machines. But everyone knows amazing curing edge graphics etc aren't necessary for a great gaming experience.

I've used XBMC for a while now, and I think calling it a replacement for torrents & Netflicks is over selling it somewhat. It can be that, but it's not a simple task to do something like stream live tv through it for instance. It can make it easier to stream online content to your tv, but it's only content that's accessible through your PC already. I used to use it on a RasperryPi, which is a similar kind of platform to the OUYA, although it's probably better suited as I don't know if the OUYA can even do full HD. I found it a great way to organise your movie files. If you've got a harddrive full of movies, combine XBMC with a controller on your ipad and it makes looking through them a much more pleasurable experience.
    I've since replaced the Pi with a Mac Mini, which I use for general use but also run a cable through to the tv. Tbh pretty much every device or app I've used that brings internet content to you tv ends up being a pain to use. All PCs these days have an hdmi out so routing them to your tv is simple and takes the headache out of internet on your tv. I still use XBMC to organise my movies, but it's become somewhat redundant. Its cool if you have friends over and you can give them a nice graphical interface to choose a movie / show to watch, but beyond that it's much easier to just have a second desktop on your tv and all the function of your computer.

I do think projects like the OUYA are well worth supporting though. If it had come out a bit sooner I probably would've bought one instead of the Pi and I do hope that it can take off as an indie gaming platform.

• I have one. It's dope. Get the 16GB model if you can.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Bad graphics.

• Not "bad" graphics. More like Dreamcast level graphics.

If you're looking for something on a PS4 / XBOne level, you're going to be disappointed.