Winter Jackets

parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
What keeps you warm?

This is my go-to for the -20 to -30 that I can expect for a good stretch in my neck of the woods.

CG gets the eye roll, but this jacket weighs about 1 pound, and I can wear nothing but a T underneath and feel toasty no matter how cold it gets.

What do you wear?

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Been sunny and dry all winter. Goretex in the closet. SUX

• i am unoriginal, and warm as fuck.

i should have gotten the longer one because tall guy + bomber jackets doesn't really mix well.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Rotating these three, depending on the severity of the climate.

Regular cold-ass weather;

"It definitely feels like winter now" weather;

"Fuck me, it's so cold the wind actually hurts" weather;

I've had the WeSC for years and the Carhartt for even longer, but they're both really solid, well-made, dependable coats. The former is a bit Karmaloop as far as the styling goes, but when the temperatures hit the minus numbers (-12 here tonight, a little over 10??F), function trumps aesthetics. I fully expect to need a ski-mask if I go out tomorrow.

• DocMcCoy said:

when i was last on 'your side' I was floored by the popularity of carhartt as a stylish brand. I have floor to ceiling carhartt gear as an occupational thing and packed none not knowing that I would have been revered as a maven. im glad the two kids who started the cut & sew generation over there have gotten theirs.... quality product.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    do not kill me please

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    DocMcCoy said:

when i was last on 'your side' I was floored by the popularity of carhartt as a stylish brand. I have floor to ceiling carhartt gear as an occupational thing and packed none not knowing that I would have been revered as a maven. im glad the two kids who started the cut & sew generation over there have gotten theirs.... quality product.

Yeah, funnily enough I was talking about this the other day on Facebook with a friend who lives in Prague. We were discussing winter jackets then, too. He was bemoaning how many of the so-called heritage brands that have emerged, or re-emerged, in recent years seem nowadays to focus more on the styling than the actual manufacture (*cough*Woolrich*cough*), so you end up dropping plenty dolla on "workwear" jackets that lose their shape as soon as you put anything so heavy as a phone or a wallet in the pockets. If you're selling to a customer whose main concern is the look rather than the tailoring, perhaps that isn't such a problem. My feeling is that the tailoring supports the look, and you can't really have the latter if you don't get the former right.

I said to him that I thought Carhartt had managed to make the tricky transition from traditional workwear brand to fashion brand without doing so at the expense of its core aesthetic. Their basics t's and sweats are as solid and well-made as their regular workwear lines, and every now and again they come up with some surprisingly cool fashion collections as well, like the S/S 13 Sound Of Detroit t-shirt range.