Paypal Credit Card?

PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Since there's a gang of eBay-inspired posts:What's the deal with the Paypal card?Pros? Cons? Glorified Debit Card?I want to see if it can help me more easily bridge the gap between the internet and the real world (and preferably bust moves in).Will I feel even more nerdy with "Paypal" slapped across my credit card? (yes)IMG SRC=https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/bnr/pp_debitCard_240x190.gif>Apparently Egon's boy Jon Doe has one.

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    A lot of people have it, but it's not a credit card, more like a check card. I use it to ship out the records people buy plus you can get cash back at the post office if you're inclined. Just use it as a debit card. Beats having to wait 3-4 days for the transfer to go through yao?!

t

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    A lot of people have it, but it's not a credit card, more like a check card. I use it to ship out the records people buy plus you can get cash back at the post office if you're inclined. Just use it as a debit card. Beats having to wait 3-4 days for the transfer to go through yao?!

t

dam, it pulls from your paypal account?!
    thats ill... mb i should read more...

• Yep, pulls straight from paypal funds with nothing off the top. Handy. Also use it at any ATM.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Also use it at any ATM.

...for a small fee. (1.00 or so)

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I've had one for about a year now and love it. Get a paypal payment? Hit the ATM and get cash. No waiting for the 3-4 business days for the funds to transfer to you bank account. Very handy.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    I've had one for about a year now and love it. Get a paypal payment? Hit the ATM and get cash. No waiting for the 3-4 business days for the funds to transfer to you bank account. Very handy.

thtll make it hella ez to ship fast now...
    dope thnx for the headz up...

• The Pay Pal card is highly recommended...for all the reasons listed above. Considering all of the other issues I have with Pay Pal (service fees, ability to seize your checking account at will, etc), the convience of the card is one thing that keeps me hooked.

By the way, the $1.00 fee isn't that cool. But you can buy a pack of gum (or any other small purchase) at the store, and get "cash back" and you won't get charged the fee.

• Also use it at any ATM.

...for a small fee. (1.00 or so)

Do they "get you" anywhere else. Hidden fees/other surcharges/etc...?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    A lot of people have it, but it's not a credit card, more like a check card.

Paypal has both. I have the debit card, but they turned me down for the credit card. It's no better than most other credit cards in terms of apr, so there's no real incentive to get one through paypal anyway.

The debit card, on the other hand, does have advantages. Generally, I only sell on ebay when I need cash. It helps to be able to spend that money as soon as it hits my paypal account. I don't like waiting for my paypal balance to transfer to my bank account.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I've got the PayPal debit card myself, and really it's the shit. I love having somebody win an auction, they can pay via PayPal as soon as the auction ends if they want... Funds are in my PayPal account, and the same goddamn day I can use my check card and pay for something if I want. It's a beautiful thing. It beats the hell out of having to transfer money back into your checking account or something. You have to have at least a business account to get one, but when I've had money in my PayPal account it's been excellent having the debit card. Maybe there's a twinge of geekiness from having a PayPal card, but shit, these days people have credit cards with KISS on them, dogs, sports teams, you name it. Plus, with a debit card you generally swipe it in the machine yourself so nobody else really gets a good look at it, if you really have that much of a complex about what's on your card.

As far as the PayPal credit card... I know they offer it, but that's all I know. I personally don't fuck with credit cards at all so I've never even been tempted to check into it. I don't know if it offers you any advantages over other cards or not. I'm sure the PayPal website would be more than happy to tell you the details.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Very insightful, thanks to everybody. Definitely getting one now.
    Keeping those shipping costs off my cc sound pretty nice.