Soul Strut 100: # 2 - 24-Carat Black - Ghetto: Misfortune???s Wealth

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Long ago there was a place at about NE Glisan and 80th. Junk shop with mostly lps piled every which way. Dollar each. I got Little Willie John Fever there. Very rare and great R&B record. There was a Harlem River Drive with just the jacket I would see every time.

2 young go getters took the idea and ran with it. They opened a store on NE Hawthorne at about 35th in a warehouse space. Named it Rip City. They may have started with the other stores stock. Their business plan was simple, buy records for .10c sell for $1.00. They had a great location on record row and managed to buy hundreds of records every day. I tried to get there at least 3 times a week. This was mid 90s, so I needed all the CTI, Christie McVie, Mountain, Roy Clark, MJ, Heatwave... I could get. I don't remember pulling anything amazing there, but I am sure I did. A local store started "helping them out" by sorting the records before hand and paying a premium. That killed the store and the young go getters opened a hair salon.

When Rip City started going down hill a guy thought he could do the store one better, he bought for .05c and sold for $1.25. I think that was JJs. He was on Sandy Blvd not far from me. I went through the whole store when he opened. I bought a lot of records that first time. Only one I remember now was a PR&TR; Like Long Hair, which is a big deal local garage rock record. It was clean. He didn't last long because not many people were selling or buying from him. Plus he was kinda unpleasant.

32, I thought you got the 24CB at the place on Glisan.

I don't remember any of those places having 45s. Maybe I just missed it because I didn't care about 45s that much then.

The other place, or places, I hit multiple times a week back then was EM. They were an offshoot of Cheapos in Minneapolis. Nothing was more than $3.60. I got all the good lesbian records every week, Baba Yaga was $100.00 record then, I probable found one a month at EM, also Linda Tillery, Alive... One time I was at the downtown store. The Roots had played across the street the day before, so I thought about not looking through yesterdays new arrivals, but I can't stop digging. Found a nice clean copy of Carl Sherlock Holmes.

I picked up a children's record there that is still largely unknown. It's on Peter Pan and the music is by Gershon Kingsley. Very good record.

• awesome!! what was rip city's life span? it sounds like it wasnt long.
    i found those records at JJs. the dude was definitely unpleasant. i brought about 70 records to the counter cause he was harassing me about closing on time. i asked if i could just have them for the $50 i had on me. nope. so i had five minutes to sort through and pick 40 albums.

i never checked the glisan spot out. but i remember you mentioning your love for EM.
    Records everywhere those days!

I can't say for sure, but Rip City was around for 2 maybe 3 years I think.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    Gershon Kingsley - Crash, Bang, Crunch & Pow: The Sounds of the City - 1971 LP

????

still need an og copy of 24 karat

Yes.

• I bought this album a few years ago and it never made a big impact on me at that time. After seeing it so high on the list, I decided to pull it out again and I've been listening to it the past few days...really digging it, I can't believe it didn't hit me the first time.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Casteneda said:
    I bought this album a few years ago and it never made a big impact on me at that time. After seeing it so high on the list, I decided to pull it out again and I've been listening to it the past few days...really digging it, I can't believe it didn't hit me the first time.

That's why I grip certain albums that didn't move me at first listen.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    i bought the re of this few years ago and never got into, wouldn't mind having another listen now but gave it too a mate who really dug it for his 40th birthday. ah well

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I was with the one Bambouche at Sound Library a few years ago and they had it on the wall for $75, couldn't bring myself to do it. I like the album, but not that much.

I came across another copy for sale last year and listened to an online version in case my mood had changed....it hadn't. It lacks a certain...warmth? Depth? Is it the recording? Or is it my cold cold heart and the ice cubes that are my eardrums?

I am also surprised at its standing on the list.

• per0per0 152 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Seems like good pressings of this are hard to find. A case where the reish is better than original? Is there a reish?

I had a re-ish which is weak. Gtt an OG years later, is better, but not by that much.

Amazing record, perfect soul imo.

• per0per0 152 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Seems like good pressings of this are hard to find. A case where the reish is better than original? Is there a reish?

I had a re-ish which is weak. Gtt an OG years later, is better, but not by that much.

Amazing record, perfect soul imo.[/quotps it was a Re-ish on Stax