buhloone backstory

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
odub put together this NICE little article on the making of the de la classic:

http://soul-sides.com/2013/12/buhloone-bonus-beats

where does this album rank in the de la catalogue for you? i have a hard time ranking the first three albums at all - seems like a three-way tie for #1 given how different/excellent they are.

anyone end up getting into that First Serve album from a couple of years ago? what's the verdict?

Get Away was a highlight in 2013...

Comments

• Thanks for sharing.

I agree on the three way tie. De La Soul Is Dead is probably #1 for me, but it's hard to say. I Am, I Be is one of my favorites.

• Cool. BMS is my favorite but that's probably related more to nostalgia and particular things happening at that time.

I do think their lyrics hit a certain plateau there, where they were grown but not yet old.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Thanks, very interesting read. Not sure I could ever put a top 3 together for De La Albums, it always depends on my mood. I still think De La Soul is Dead is one of the best end to end albums I know of, but I find going back to their newer albums they aren't as well put together but there are some amazing tracks on there that have really grown on me over time like this, I hated it when I first heard it but have found myself going back to it repeatedly lately

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    i agree that bms was grown man rap done well.

also agree that the later stuff is sometimes brilliant.

classic b-side:

that impossible: mission mixtape was pretty good.