Your favorite version of your country's National Anthem

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
This one always makes me misty. An autistic man sings the (US) National Anthem at Fenway Park on Disability Awareness Day, 2012, and starts to have trouble with the words about halfway through. Then 35,000 people spontaneously demonstrate why I love and always will love the city of my birth.

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Boston strong, indeed.

Here is a vid of a guy butchering the Canadian anthem prior to a junior hockey league game featuring Canada's best against Russia's best (1:07 is where it starts): http://o.canada.com/sports/singer-butchers-canadian-and-russian-anthems-before-whl-super-series-game/

The reactions from some of the players as the camera is panning are hilarious, but the crowd helps dude out as soon as they sense trouble. Tr??s Canadien!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    here's 60s jovem guarda singer Vanusa absolutely butchering Brazil's national anthem:

it's a shitty anthem anyway (too long and bloated, makes up some bullshit about how the nation won its independence), so this rendition is totally appropriate.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

b/w

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Favorite has to be the Hendrix version....

Not favorite...but one that cracks me up and pretty well captures the early 80's imo is this bad boy:

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    This one always makes me misty. An autistic man sings the (US) National Anthem at Fenway Park on Disability Awareness Day, 2012, and starts to have trouble with the words about halfway through. Then 35,000 people spontaneously demonstrate why I love and always will love the city of my birth.

Oh man...thanks for sharing this. It got me.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    JectWon said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Oh man...thanks for sharing this. It got me.

Sayin'. That's the sort of thing that helps restore your faith in humanity.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've mentioned before I love hearing the Star Spangled Banner sung at sporting events.

My favorite version is Aretha at the Democratic convention 1992.
    Can't find it on youtube. She sang it with just a snare drum accompaniment.

Looking for it I found this not very good Aretha version, but the keyboard is cool.

They say the melody is from a British drinking song, but there is no way drunks were singing a song with such a difficult melody. Also think the song kind of sucks. It commemorates the war of 1812, in which the British spanked our butts after we tried to annex Canada. So as much as I like hearing what singers do with it, I think it should be scrapped. There are better patriotic songs.

• LaserWolf said:
    They say the melody is from a British drinking song, but there is no way drunks were singing a song with such a difficult melody.

Because if the history of music teaches us anything it's that good singers never get drunk.