question for people who make and sell music

jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
The other day there was this record I wanted, and the artist was selling it on their Bandcamp page, but it was also in stock at a local shop.

My internal dilemma with this is always: Which helps the artist more?

If I buy it from the artist directly, I'm assuming they get more of the money, plus it gives them more of a direct connection with their fans, plus they have another name for their mailing list, plus whatever else.

If I buy it from the shop, in addition to helping the shop directly and the Vinyl Is Back! cottage industry indirectly, I figure that it helps the artist by letting this third party (the shop and its buyers) know that this obscure artist has at least some kind of audience that will pay money for their music, so maybe the shop will buy ten copies of their next shit instead of five, thus advancing--however infinitesimally--the artist's toehold in the human marketplace. Maybe that's patronizing, though--I don't know.

Anyway, I ended up buying it from the shop, 'cause I owe a lot to record stores.

From the artist side, though, is there a preferable move?

Comments

• evidently it is "ignore-GT month" on the strut, anyway; just buy from the place where the price is the lowest.

then will be more likely to buy again. additionally, I think part of teh problem is that many 3rd part distributors got greedy and started being dishonest.

:balla:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Another plus for the artist would be if the store soundscan reports.

You made a good case for both choices, so I will give you a third, buy direct from the artist at a gig.

• I can co sign the greedy distro cats. They don't manufacture, promote, or do anything other than send your product to people and they want sometimes 35 - 40%. Independent hip hop music isn't exactly a cash cow.. giving up that kind of % makes it impossible to get close to even remotely breaking even. They're starting to operate like labels with none of the actual benefits. DIY is the way moving forward. I use my bandcamp to help fund supplies for actual product.. I pressed up a record coming out in the spring. I used the pressing plant JUST for the records. I use bandcamp to sling music to pay for the sleeves, the artwork, etc etc.

I do think it has some adverse effects. Blame social media, with facebook, tumblr, twitter, and what not the personal experience is now a "thing". I don't think Frank Sinatra fans would stop listening to his music if he made a racial slur on the tonight show, but social media has also thrown a lot of the politics out as well.. which allows small time artists with modest followings to grow in a much easier environment. I would buy the record from the record store, and email the artist via bandcamp. Anyone who supports my music I try and reach out as best I can. a happy customer is a returning one.