Sound Library - The Future Of Record Labels?

HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
So Doc McCoy's post about Ninjatune in the Spooky thread has kind of confirmed a thought I've been having a while about the future of record labels - namely that many are becoming de facto sound library labels.

A friend who runs a successful independent label (one that does both reissues and new artists) told me years ago that the label activity per se basically breaks even and it is the sync/licensing end that actually makes money.

If the only viable revenue stream is commercial/film/TV usage, aren't these labels essentially functioning as sound library operations? I know the whole A&R end is different, but still.

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    how do you feel as a reissuer?

• I never expected to make much money reissuing obscure titles, but I'd be happy (and a bit surprised) to get that licensing $. Most of it would go to the artist, but good for them. I'd feel good if they actually got some real money after all these years.

I'm thinking more along the lines of new music, though. I feel that there's a whole genre of quirky she-sprites looking for that Apple money, among other side effects. I wonder if licensing potential is creeping into the process/business model in other ways, too.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    I never expected to make much money reissuing obscure titles, but I'd be happy (and a bit surprised) to get that licensing $. Most of it would go to the artist, but good for them. I'd feel good if they actually got some real money after all these years.

I'm thinking more along the lines of new music, though. I feel that there's a whole genre of quirky she-sprites looking for that Apple money, among other side effects. I wonder if licensing potential is creeping into the process/business model in other ways, too.

when you license something for reissue, what kind of rights do you have over licensing for other things? I would think people give you license to release the music on vinyl and other formats, didn't know that would also include re-licensing for other media. Just curious as to how that works.

• ppadilha said:
    Horseleech said:
    I never expected to make much money reissuing obscure titles, but I'd be happy (and a bit surprised) to get that licensing $. Most of it would go to the artist, but good for them. I'd feel good if they actually got some real money after all these years.

when you license something for reissue, what kind of rights do you have over licensing for other things? I would think people give you license to release the music on vinyl and other formats, didn't know that would also include re-licensing for other media. Just curious as to how that works.

It all depends on the deal you make. Some titles I have no involvement with licensing at all, with others the bands have asked that I handle all of that for them. I've had several inquiries, but nothing has panned out so far.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ninja tune did one thing well
    have a mini internal kickstarter for the back catalogue to choose what is to be re-released
    it makes perfect sense on all levels