portables

parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
In terms of overall quality, build, sound, etc.

Comments

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    parallax said:

I'd be interested to know this as well. These aren't all available though, are they? Looking at and considering the Numark myself, just as a back up/digital transfer...

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Rishan said:
    parallax said:

I'd be interested to know this as well. These aren't all available though, are they? Looking at and considering the Numark myself, just as a back up/digital transfer...

I have the Numark (which I'm pleased with) and have just ordered a Vestax (which are double the cost, but marginally better, if it all than the Numark).

GP-3's come used from Japan (mainly), and I'm not trusting used shit--especially if it is to be shipped from that far away.

Soundburgers apparently have shitty sound (warbles are the most common complaint from what I've read) and a tinny speaker (which is forgiveable).

I'm interested in others' perspectives.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Timely thread, I'm an owner of a pt-01 but just bought a Crosley soundburger

It's fine... I'd read a shit-ton of terrible reviews about it, but it does the job. Takes up less than half of the space of the numark

Numark weighs HEAVY with 6 D batteries, crosley takes 4 AA

Crosley has no speaker, but for portable digging you don't want to be broadcasting to everyone in the spot anyway

Mine doesn't have any warble/wow issues too, as the reviews often say

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    In terms of build, the GP-3 is where it's at. However, the size and non-stereo sound get annoying at times. Love hanging it on the wall and playing 45s. No RCA outs. I will always keep one of these for sure.

The Vestax is great since it plays 78s, which really comes in handy sometimes (cumbia digging especially). RCA outs for recording. Easy to find spare needles. Fucking huge, though.

I was just hipped to the Vacuum Records VP96 and it's small, plays loud and has long battery life. Looks great too. Pretty hard to find outside of Japan I think, though.

Crosely's are pieces of garbage. Even with new batteries, my 2 year old model plays 45s unevenly with wobbly, janky sound. However, the compact size is great + the fact that they use AA batteries instead of D's cuts down on weight significantly. I think the vintage options with this similar design are the best portables out there, though. Soundburgers and the Sony knockoff are great. They play loud, have RCA outs and are well built. It may be tough to find them, but they are great investments.

Basically: Vestax if you will be digging for 78s too, otherwise a GP-3 or Soundburger / Sony PS-F5 should be the best bets,, IMO.

b/w

WHO IS HOLDING SOUND CROCODILE RAER?

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I havnt tried them all, but for me the Vacuum Records VP96 kills it.
    Combination of size, style and sound quality.

So far I've seen blue, oranage and black ones.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I voted Vestax, because that is what I have.

I like it because I have had it for many years with only one small problem.
    A customer from Japan gave it to me before they were commercially available in this country. Long time ago.
    It has traveled many miles and gets used all the time.
    Still doing well.

The problem happened early on, the clasp that holds the battery door shut broke, it has been taped shut ever since.
    Common problem.

Other down sides are weight, short battery life (78s run down the batteries in a hurry), ... that's about it.

mattB said:

Matt, keep me posted about a spare blue or black one. MUST COP

Also, have you checked out the National SF-340? The Japanese dudes that were just here were each rocking one. They are small and rectangular and play surprisingly loud and clear. Can't find much about them on Google.

MusicaDelAlma said:
    Matt, keep me posted about a spare blue or black one. MUST COP
    Sure, will do.

MusicaDelAlma said:
    Also, have you checked out the National SF-340?
    Yeah, I know the one you mean, but I rarely see it. I seem to remember seeing it somewhere once in the past. Maybe Muro's store?

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    Crosely's are pieces of garbage. Even with new batteries, my 2 year old model plays 45s unevenly with wobbly, janky sound. However, the compact size is great + the fact that they use AA batteries instead of D's cuts down on weight significantly

I have a feeling that the models have been revised... Think the first batch needed 6 x AA, mine takes 4... No wobbly sound on 45 for me. Has a light hum though

Most of the negative reviews online seem to be from people who have bought this is as their main turntable... obviously a dumb move

Downside- the thing that your thumb hooks under to needle-drop is waaay too small, hardly juts out at all. Tracking weight is very heavy too, so don't use it for repeated listening of your raers

• mattB said:

how much do these run? are they only available in JP? they look vintage

for the record, the audiotechnica dont have external speakers

ive messed w vestax and numark and i found them clunky w low sound output.
    gp3 feel very solid but i also wish they were louder.
    fisher prices are definitlely bulky, but somehow the sound is among the best. and they are durable as fuck. i dont like having to find a place to put the cover when you open it up (having it at 90 degrees sometimes was risky to vinyl if not on a table)

overall, i ended up using the fp the most

utters said:
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    Crosely's are pieces of garbage. Even with new batteries, my 2 year old model plays 45s unevenly with wobbly, janky sound. However, the compact size is great + the fact that they use AA batteries instead of D's cuts down on weight significantly

I have a feeling that the models have been revised... Think the first batch needed 6 x AA, mine takes 4... No wobbly sound on 45 for me. Has a light hum though

Most of the negative reviews online seem to be from people who have bought this is as their main turntable... obviously a dumb move

Downside- the thing that your thumb hooks under to needle-drop is waaay too small, hardly juts out at all. Tracking weight is very heavy too, so don't use it for repeated listening of your raers

Ah, word. Glad to hear they fixed the problem and improved battery life.

tripledouble said:
    mattB said:
    VP96
    how much do these run? are they only available in JP? they look vintage
    Made in Japan I think sometime in the 90s. Ive had a few in my time but it seems they were pretty limited because they're really tough to find.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    mattB said:

The VP96 is the best portable.

Audio-Technica ATN-VP96 Stylus
    Stereo headphone jack
    Light and compact
    They were actually made in Korea

Got mine brand new in the box for $135 USD in the 90s when they were brand new.

And yes, GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE! LOL

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I'm sure this one was available a day or so ago when I looked:

http://www.yudemenrecords.com/product/vacuum-records-vp96/

Did somebody here cop?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    The newer ones have an USB slot right? Does anyone use the portable as a recording device (analog to digital)? Curious if that is considered a plus when selecting the right portable.

toby.d said:
    I'm sure this one was available a day or so ago when I looked:

http://www.yudemenrecords.com/product/vacuum-records-vp96/

Did somebody here cop?
    Yeah, just sold.

So, I got a Vestax to see if it is better than the Numark PT01...

Nope!

-Vestax feels like it would shatter if I dropped it, while the Numark feels like it would survive.
    -Vestax is lighter, but does not feel solid.
    -Numark's speaker is better than the Vestax
    -Here's the worst part: the Vestax motor is picked up by the speaker. Anyone else have this issue?

Thinking I need to return it and just get a second Numark instead.

• Holler on the pm if you're looking for a gp3. Got a red with an extra brand new stylus and the original box. Don't really need it.

PM sent!

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I've had the Numark for several years and have taken very good care of it. But, pretty much straight out of the box, the silver galvanized faceplate unsticks and keeps popping off unless you tape it down. The handle is poorly designed because the space for your hand is small and the unit just hangs at a slant which is awkward to hold. The whole thing is pretty big comparatively. Finally, the sound is reasonably loud but has a substantial amount of added noise from hiss and ambient noise.
    I've never owned a Vestax, but I've used one several times, it's lighter, easier to carry and the handle is centered making it more comfortable to carry. Sound wise, I've always used it with cheap headphones so I can't speak on the sound quality other than to say that it seemed similar to the Numark.

• Take this, convert the battery connector on the side to a headphone socket and its louder and better than the soundburger (got rid). the big bird edition still evades me....
    Attached files

• Thanks for the info.
    Any suggestion about which one(s) cause the least wear to the records?
    Any that you would play your nice records on often?

• soulcitizen, ill trade you a bigbird for that one!

• soulcitizen said:
    Take this, convert the battery connector on the side to a headphone socket and its louder and better than the soundburger (got rid). the big bird edition still evades me....

COSIGN. Got one on ebay a few weeks back. Best 12$ i have spent in a long time.