MATSULI Music

parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
Anyone know the dude (I think his name is Matt?) from Matsuli Music?

Been trying to get a hold of him regarding a very poorly shipped piece and haven't heard a thing for a week now.

Anyone else have issues (or successes) with ordering from Matsuli?

Thanks.

Comments

• Copped the Batsumi lp, all good, shipped fine. (I am in the uk doe, so not overseas shipping).

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I also got the clear vinyl Batsumi reissue shipped to me in the US.
    Mine came unsealed, poorly packed with a few corner bumps and with no edition number on the sleeve....but I just let is slide.
    It kind of looks like dude doesn't understand how wrecked records can get in overseas shipments.
    Not trying to put the guy on blast or anything....But i do hope he resolves your issue as he seems like a small operation doing it for the right reasons.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    I also got the clear vinyl Batsumi reissue shipped to me in the US.
    Mine came unsealed, poorly packed with a few corner bumps and with no edition number on the sleeve....but I just let is slide.
    It kind of looks like dude doesn't understand how wrecked records can get in overseas shipments.
    Not trying to put the guy on blast or anything....But i do hope he resolves your issue as he seems like a small operation doing it for the right reasons.

Thank you for this.

I'm in Canada and got the clear vinyl Batsumi in flimsy cardboard (not even a mailer) with no bubble wrap/filler/stiffener. A bit of tape on the seams, and that's that. The jacket has a nasty bend on one corner (as far down as the curve of the vinyl at the top right corner), and the top seam has a 3 inch tear--no edition number, and not factory sealed. The vinyl itself is immaculate.

I'm with you regarding "heart in the right place" etc., but I haven't heard anything in a week and just want a replacement jacket (if that's even possible--not likely) or a partial refund, which I think is fair.

Dude was on waxi a couple weeks back in some re-ish thread, but I don't have an account.

• Although mine was fine, it wasn't sealed, and no number on the edition - odd.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    For $50 a pop, you'd think dude could do a better job with the shipping / customer service. Just saying.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    parallax said:
    ... in flimsy cardboard (not even a mailer) with no bubble wrap/filler/stiffener. A bit of tape on the seams, and that's that... and not factory sealed. The vinyl itself is immaculate.

Been years since I ordered anything from UK (or Europe) but isn't all that par for the course when ordering from over there.
    I don't think Factory Sealed exists there. That's a N American thing.
    I've gotten 45s that were just dropped in an envelope. Saves on shipping. I have never gotten any records shipped in corrugated cardboard, don't think they have it, just flimsy fiber board.

I agree they should package and ship things right. But my experience is that they do not. Which is the reason for my first sentence.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I remember people complaining on waxidermy about the packing and lo and behold, after I ordered mine, the packing was shit. Luckily nothing was damaged in transit. The music is fantastic though.

• LaserWolf said:
    parallax said:
    ... in flimsy cardboard (not even a mailer) with no bubble wrap/filler/stiffener. A bit of tape on the seams, and that's that... and not factory sealed. The vinyl itself is immaculate.

Been years since I ordered anything from UK (or Europe) but isn't all that par for the course when ordering from over there.
    I've gotten 45s that were just dropped in an envelope. Saves on shipping. I have never gotten any records shipped in corrugated cardboard, don't think they have it, just flimsy fiber board.

I agree they should package and ship things right. But my experience is that they do not. Which is the reason for my first sentence.

^^^ WTF entire country/continent is unable to ship records correctly? Anything I sell to overseas gets a corrugated package, stiffeners, tape sealed on all sides, and we do by matter of course sell new albums as factory sealed, it's not just a USA thing. Never had a complaint. Strange comments but you have your own experiences of it I guess, but it does remind me of someone I know that put the whole of Australia on blast because of one bad experience and banned anyone from there buying from him, which was funny at the time.

Does sound like your man here is pretty USeless tho!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    soulcitizen said:
    LaserWolf said:
    parallax said:

^^^ WTF entire country/continent is unable to ship records correctly? Anything I sell to overseas gets a corrugated package, stiffeners, tape sealed on all sides, and we do by matter of course sell new albums as factory sealed, it's not just a USA thing. Never had a complaint. Strange comments but you have your own experiences of it I guess, but it does remind me of someone I know that put the whole of Australia on blast because of one bad experience and banned anyone from there buying from him, which was funny at the time.

Does sound like your man here is pretty USeless tho!

Thank you for the correction.
    This is the first I have heard of factory sealed, or corrugated packaging coming from Europe.
    My problem might be that my experiences were so long in the past.
    Perhaps some day I will try again. After this current issue is laid to rest.

I have never had any issue with UK, Euro, or US dudes. Ever. I've bought records from Discogs off UK dudes, from UK stores, etc. with zero issues (till now), and in fact have bought more records from UK than anywhere else this year. I have never worried about any shipment arriving from the UK.

I generally "shop with confidence", but was shocked that someone in the business of selling uber rare and beautiful African records would be THAT careless with packing. I would've guessed it was his first time shipping vinyl tbh.

• Contact me please and I will sort it out. Matt

• Guys, for clarity....the original Batsumi issue (c$50 in the US) was numbered/limited with insert. The clear vinyl was a cheaper repress. The student I got to do the post and packaging was useless and I apologise for anyone that got a less than acceptable product.

Anyone with a problem contact me please and I will sort it out.

Apologies again.

Just a quick shout to the man Matt at Matsuli Music for making good. Guy sends me a new jacket AND a bonus record that was not even on my radar: African Songbird, which is absolutely gorgeous--plaese to check if you dig soulful jazz and beautiful vocals. Stunningly good.

Both came in yesterday, packed nicely. Thank you, Matt!

Cheers and happy new year to all.