message for Raj: Hungarian Vizsla

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
Hey Raj, just wanted to ask how it's going with your Vizsla? I remember you posted a picture of the pup some time ago, but can't remember what the thread was about. Anyway, they're such a beautiful, awesome breed and I've really wanted to get one for ages. There is a litter near me now with 2 dogs and a bitch left, which I'm going to see on Saturday with the gf. Ridiculously excited!

I've done my research and know the personality pretty well, but what was yours like as a puppy? If I get one I will be taking it to my office every day, but I'm worried it might be a little too active and unable to settle. I can exercise it enough, that's not a problem, even during work days. How was yours with other people too?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• I hear they are odorless.

Can anyone confirm?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Hey man! Welcome to the proud club of Vizsla owners. Your life will never be the same!

Vizslas are high maintenance dogs, but If you put in the time (and money) they will make you proud.

These are companion dogs. If you give your 100%, they will be the happiest, most loving things ever. And it will also increase your quality of life.

I spent a lot of time with mine (working from home half days) in the beginning in fear of the awkward nervousness / neurosis that these dogs are prone to if not cared for correctly.

Here are some pointers I have from experience:

1. Exercise:

These dogs are bred to work in the field all day and help with hunting. If they do not get at least 1-2 hours of exercise per day, they are mischievous and destructive. Try to do off leash exercise whenever possible.

I live on 4 acres of land. So we play "Chuck-it " for an hour everyday after work. Also find a good place for her to socialize. Dog parks, doggy day care, play dates. They love interacting with other dogs and humans. I take mine to doggy day care 3 days a week. It???s not cheap but she is happy and tuckered out and having a happy exercised Vizsla is the best therapy.

2. Comfort:

Vizslas are not lie down on the floor dogs. They like comfort. Buy her a nice dog bed. I allow mine to plop down on the bed or the couch.

3. Socialize:

Have them be around other dogs and people as much as possible. They love all breeds and people.

4. Discipline:

Disciplining a Vizsla is a fine line. You could scar yours for life if you are too stern or get too physical at an early age. They have fragile egos. Take yours to doggy obedience school and you will get the knack.

Some more pros of the Vizsla breed:

They are great watch dogs! My dog lets off some intimidating barks whenever people come on the property. She then attacks them with love.

They are odorless. This is not a myth. They have a very short coat and clean themselves like cats.

Here are some cons I can think of:

1. Counter Surfing.

Counter surfing and stealing food is a problem.

2. They are a boisterous breed.

Getting them to stop jumping on a person as a greeting is a problem. If there are small kids or elderly people around. They could push them over. They just get super overjoyed with all people.

3. They chew shit up

Have raw hides handy at ALL TIMES or they will destroy things.

4. Also, they tend to gravitate towards the alpha figure. Which is me to her. When I go on business trips she treats my wife like the substitute teacher and misbehaves which includes running away.

Some pics of Gretta (who just turned 1)

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    awesome advice, thanks man! great pictures too!

I was expecting to hear all these things, so it's good to have it confirmed. My office is just outside the city, with some great beaches on the doorstep and many other dogs to play with. I would pretty much be with the dog at all times and have lots of family and friends to help out.

Did you have a cage in the very early stages? I hate to do this, although it worked fine with my springer spaniel, but I have a feeling it might be necessary in the office for the first few months.

Also, do they get cold indoors, with such a short fur? I'd always planned to get a decent dog bed, as I know what you mean about 'not being floor dogs', but perhaps I need like a little den that would retain body heat?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    congrats on the new dog. Vizslas are great companions!

I had a vizsla when I was in high school. We adopted him from a family friend who was moving around too much for work and couldn't take care him, so we didn't have him through the puppy stage. I do know the old owner spoiled him quite a bit, the worse part being that she let the dog sleep on her bed, so when he moved in with us it took a while to break that habit. Lots of nights with the dog crying at our bedroom doors. He would also start crying like crazy every time we left him alone in the house. After a while he got over those issues.

I second everything Raj said. Giving them enough exercise is key, otherwise they flip out. Just walking them on a leash is not enough. The best is to take them to a big park (a trail in the woods is ideal) where they can run off leash, they really need to run a lot. They like to run after birds and small animals, much more than most breeds, so just be aware of that. The first few times my dog took off running into the woods I freaked out but that's their normal behavior, they kind of run in very large circles around you. And pray to god they don't find a dead animal carcass. At any rate, as long as they get enough exercise they're pretty chill inside the house.

It is true they don't smell, although they shed a lot. It's good to brush them often to gather up the hair before it gets all over your house, they really enjoy it too. My dog hated water, so bathing him was pretty difficult. I would give him a soft-boiled egg once or twice a week, they say it makes their coat shiny. No idea if that's true, but he loved eggs and cheese anyway. And always have a rawhide bone, mine would go through about one a week. In addition to keeping them from chewing other things, it also cleans their teeth and makes their breath better.

My dog didn't mind lying down on the carpet, it's the hard floor they don't like. We had a bed for him, but normally he preferred the couch. We also had a blanket for him, they don't really get cold but at least mine really liked to make a little den under the blanket, especially to go to sleep.

Rishan said:
    awesome advice, thanks man! great pictures too!

I was expecting to hear all these things, so it's good to have it confirmed. My office is just outside the city, with some great beaches on the doorstep and many other dogs to play with. I would pretty much be with the dog at all times and have lots of family and friends to help out.

Did you have a cage in the very early stages? I hate to do this, although it worked fine with my springer spaniel, but I have a feeling it might be necessary in the office for the first few months.

Also, do they get cold indoors, with such a short fur? I'd always planned to get a decent dog bed, as I know what you mean about 'not being floor dogs', but perhaps I need like a little den that would retain body heat?

I crate trained mine. It's nice for them to have a comfort zone to retreat to and a place to contain them when you go out. My girl is a year old and we are just now letting her roam free when we leave for the day.

They get cold in the winter, but because they are so active, she rarely gets shivery outside. I did buy her a $20 fleece jacket for the long days at doggy day care.

Here are sone good resources going forward:

Vizsla Forum:

http://www.vizslaforums.com

Books

For the coffee table:

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    gents, thank you!

ppadilha, I did the egg thing too, but raw, with my springer. Her coat was gorgeous and she loved the eggs! Actually, most of what you say is very familiar and relates to her. Springers are just more crazy/stupid. I think we'll be fine with the dog. A commitment for life no doubt, and I wouldn't have it any other way

Rishan said:
    gents, thank you!

ppadilha, I did the egg thing too, but raw, with my springer. Her coat was gorgeous and she loved the eggs! Actually, most of what you say is very familiar and relates to her. Springers are just more crazy/stupid. I think we'll be fine with the dog. A commitment for life no doubt, and I wouldn't have it any other way

Good luck, man! I would love to see pics!