Is this the original source for the Neptunes snare?

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
This is a Carlos Berrios edit of the tune Nico - Don't You Leave Me (Berrios Beats). They used a drum computer for the track, I'm not shure which one, but I bet someone here knows it.

Carlos Berrios did a lot of those crazy edits which are 20 years ahead of its time. One of his key technics is to cut the samples short. Therefore when the drumroll around 0.33 sec comes in, the reverb of the snare is cut short, and it sounds exactly like the neptunes snare they almost used in every song.

Here are my questions:

Which drumcomputer is used in the "Don't you leave me" track?
Does the snare also remind you on the Neptunes snare?

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Hawkeye said:
    Does the snare also remind you on the Neptunes snare?
    No. While the reverb might be clipped, this snare still spreads out a little; the Neptunes snare hits a lot more crisply. Plus, this has has that quickly-evaporating snap--the Neptunes' is markedly more dimensional, more sculpted.

Maybe some of that could be chalked up to differences in engineering or recording or whatever, but I don't know. I'm a fan of both styles, but I'm not hearing it.

• I always assumed the neptunes snare was played off a TR 808 and just refined through the fine science of engineering & slight layering.