Missed opportunities (nood digger related)

KidProcrassKidProcrass 107 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
Ever pass on a record or just get rid of one of one only to find it out later its amazing music or just worth a grip? Ive found several copies of the Loni Gamble LP over the years in dollar bins or through bulk buys and just got rid of them because the music never really hit me like that. Then yesterday i see copies on popsike sell for 250$ and up..

:oof:

Please share your stories

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I think I have a lot of these stories, but these are my two most recent:

saw this 7" at a flea market here in Porto Alegre, and I was going to buy it based on the sleeve (I thought the song could be good, or it could suck balls, as is often the case with these late 70s/early 80s "mel??" songs) but the wife gave me the gas face for looking at records, so I put it back. I get home and look it up, only to find out it's a dope track featuring an uncredited Gerson King Combo, and it's also pretty hard to come by. I've been back to the flea market a few times since but the old dude who had the box of 7"s hasn't appeared again.

a few weeks ago I passed on this one:

I'm just annoyed because I had heard it before but when I saw the cover I couldn't remember if it was good or if it was some cheesy Jovem Guarda thing, and I didn't feel like taking a chance on it. Doubly annoyed because I'm pretty sure I saw it in a $1 crate at this shop that sells used stereo equipment, so of course I go back to dude's store to try scour through his cheap bins again only to discover that he got rid of them earlier this week, selling a bunch to "some crazy records guy" and giving the rest away to a friend of his. Don't know if this one is all that rare though, hopefully I'll come across another copy.

• I thought this thraed was supposed to be about digging in the nood?!?!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    I thought this thraed was supposed to be about digging in the nood?!?!

I thought that went without saying?!?!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Kid Procrass,

I can think of countless times that I passed on LPs with great music. Take, for instance, "Fly with the Wind" by McCoy Tyner. I must've seen this record 10,000 times over my years of collecting. In addition, my brother recommended this LP to me over and over again, but I never bought it. Then, I bought it a few years ago, and I absolutely love it. In fact, I had to include on my brother's tribute mix given how much he loved it. Other joints I passed on and regretted it include:

-The Funkadelic Westbound joints (price; my old 'go-to' store Muzik Hut had all of them and I passed; got them all later for much more loot).
    -"Mr. Shing-a-Ling"-Lou Donaldson (price; eventually found it pretty cheap).
    -"The Inner Source"-George Duke (price; still lookin').
    -"S/T"-8th Day (price; eventually found it).
    -"Come in my Garden"-Minnie Riperton (price; eventually found it).

There are many, many more, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. I'll have to revisit this thread later. Buy the good stuff when you see it, my man!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    @Padilha

I have that Oswaldo Nunes, you need it! Fantastic LP... Not rare either

There's a 7" from those album sessions with a killer, KILLER samba rock instrumental on the b-side, can't remember the name right now

• I have been frequenting the record store quite a bit lately, I usually check a variety of things, hiphop/classical/reggae/45's and whatever else. I have been trying for the last year to finish my Island Greats vinyl collection and recently for some stupid friggin reason I found and slept on this:

I went with a $200 dollar budget and this would have put my purchases at $220 and I walked away from it for the dumbest reason ever and that was that I gave myself a budget and wanted to stick to it...

well I went back today to get the record....and it was gone I went through the bin four times and checked all the adjacent bins... I need three albums to finish my collection and that was one of them...

*what a friggin idiot, ugh! sooooooo :nagl:

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

I jedimindtricked myself that this is not a good record and left it in my local store. Very annoying to say the least.