Gearstrut. Midi Keyboard Controller in 2013/4?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
I need to update my midi controller cause it's wilde old and crustified and doesn't map to shit anymore.

What's the science? M-Audio? Alesis? Novation? Akai?

I don't need pads. Sliders/knobs a plus. Feeling *not* like cheap plastic from China a plus. (no offense China.) Semi-weighted a plus.

is there anybody out there

Comments

• could have sworn I made this post before but whatever

• I bought an Alesis q49 for my work. Nothing fancy. No complaints. It's my only experience with a midi keyboard though.

• can't go wrong with the M-Audio Axiom line imo.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I got one of these in virtually unused condition that im looking to sell:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/novation-49sl-mkii-keyboard-controller

• It's all about the arturia one. Solid metal and wood construction, comes with tons of vintage synth patches that are already mapped to it, super nice feel and barely more expensive than the shitty plastic joints. I love it

• Wow, that looks sick. Are you talking about the Keylab 49?

@p-cray, I might could be interested but I have a bunch of return credit and gift card swag I'm looking to use so being available on Amazon is a major plus.

• amphibious said:
    It's all about the arturia one. Solid metal and wood construction, comes with tons of vintage synth patches that are already mapped to it, super nice feel and barely more expensive than the shitty plastic joints. I love it

yeah, it's got synth action keys, not semi weighted, tho... huge drawback for me.

• I have trouble noticing the difference with alleged semi-weighted keys... I should prob roll over to guitar center and mess around with the various contenders.

I used to have an M-Audio and while it was kind of 1.0-level, it also kind of felt cheap.

• on sale from 149.. for 49 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeyStES2-49/ has weighted keys so you get the trill piana' feel.. my partner uses it and he swears by it.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Went to GC over the weekend to test MIDI controllers. The only 2 that had actual "semi-weighted" action were the M-Audio Axiom & Samson Graphite. Everything else had synth-style light keys.