in your opinion what is the most radical music ever made ?

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:

But arent there clear music Paradigm Shifts that most folks can agree are the genre changers or genre starters?

I think that would make a great a thread.

I think weve been there, but this thread has become a Private Mind Garden display vs Communal Garden.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    radical and game-changer are not synonymous

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There are, as the original post alludes to, several definitions of "radical" as well as the subjective views within each. The main ones mentioned seem to be;

1. The game changer. Music that existed pretty much within it's genres norms but was new, different, special enough to create the paradigm shift mention above. Stooges, Hendrix etc.

2. Music that knowingly or unknowingly ignores genre and musical rules / conventions to create something that doesn't easily fit into traditional notions of music. Shaggs, Negativland etc

3. Music that is informed more by artistic endeavor, religion or spirituality than recognizable themes and traditional musical mores.

4. Political radicalism.

The first type is always likely to gradually lose it's radical effect, as it's popularity forces it to become part of the establishment. The second will often continue to be unlistenable for the majority of people so it retains it's 'radicalness', but it will never have the impact or cache of the first. The third blurs slightly with the second and forth, and so has potential to be the most radical of the lot.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Chuck Berry -

Radical
    Rad
    Radicchio?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Chuck Berry is easily a game changer, but not very radical.
    Even in his day he was more accessible than some of his contemporaries.
    He inspired many guitar players, but wasn't a mind melter like T-Bone Walker.

His music had a freshness and clean cutness despite the fact that he was diddling underage girls.

• the most important part about this conversation is that Harv managed to make the joke i tried to make every time I saw this thread at the top.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Nabozo said:
    outsider pop

this is a radical idea that is sure to change some games

LaserWolf said:
    Chuck Berry is easily a game changer, but not very radical.
    Even in his day he was more accessible than some of his contemporaries.
    He inspired many guitar players, but wasn't a mind melter like T-Bone Walker.

His music had a freshness and clean cutness despite the fact that he was diddling underage girls.

Do u have to be a freakshow to be "very radical"?

Isnt blueprinting the roots of a decades old genre just as radical as some minor "out-there" 45 that 100 people listened to?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    This parsing of semantics is definitely not radical for you mofos, I'll say that. Dead par for the course.

Radical. Like far out. As in new. More than two std deviations from the norm.

Gotta judge it against what was going down, right?

• [del]outsider pop [/del] jumbo shrimp

this is a radical idea that is sure to change some games

• pop is an excellent genre to defy norms and be quirky which can transform to radical. slapp happy, wyatt, fiery furnaces, legendary pink dots, beat happening etc, among the big ones. no one said kraftwerk or buckley yet? or even the late beach boys?

• Nabozo said:
    or even the late beach boys?

Oh holy goddamn, have words now lost all meaning?

Who's next? Lee Greenwood? Pia Zadora?

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts

still radical. still unsurpassed. still a total face melter.

on the radical disturbing freak fringe tip I would say

the track Booty Jones is a pedofile's plea that is extremely sick and creepy.

and on the experimental skull crushing thunder fuck cosmic drone tip i would say
    Yoshi Wada's Lament For The Rise And Fall Of The Elephantine Crocodile

• bassie said:
    radical and game-changer are not synonymous

I think 'radical' in this thread is mainly interpreted as either 'groundbreaking/iconoclast or 'abrasive/offensive'.

• The Rad Soundtrack was (and still is) pretty radical

:bizzo:

Okem said:
    There are, as the original post alludes to, several definitions of "radical" as well as the subjective views within each. The main ones mentioned seem to be;

1. The game changer. Music that existed pretty much within it's genres norms but was new, different, special enough to create the paradigm shift mention above. Stooges, Hendrix etc.

2. Music that knowingly or unknowingly ignores genre and musical rules / conventions to create something that doesn't easily fit into traditional notions of music. Shaggs, Negativland etc

3. Music that is informed more by artistic endeavor, religion or spirituality than recognizable themes and traditional musical mores.

4. Political radicalism.

I think Diamanda Galas hits all four.

• bassie said:
    Okem said:

4. Political radicalism.

Plus she's unlistenable unless you're in some sort of heroin/whiskey stupor and can't get up to turn her off.

• Lewis said:

Just an undistinguished noise/industrial group with shock covers/titles. I had an LP by them which wasn't awful called "Music For Sick Queers." Irony or something. It was recently reissued.

LazarusOblong said:
    bassie said:
    Okem said:

4. Political radicalism.

Plus she's unlistenable unless you're in some sort of heroin/whiskey stupor and can't get up to turn her off.

It's true.

• ********S U N R A********.... what? why?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The Rite of Spring

• Reynaldo said:
    The Rite of Spring

I saw them open for Minor Threats once.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    Reynaldo said:
    The Rite of Spring

I don't who you are thinking of but I am pretty sure He meant Igor.

• Yemsky said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Reynaldo said:
    The Rite of Spring

I don't who you are thinking of but I am pretty sure He meant Igor.

If there's a course in Getting Jokes anywhere near you enroll in it yesterday.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    Lewis said:

Just an undistinguished noise/industrial group with shock covers/titles. I had an LP by them which wasn't awful called "Music For Sick Queers." Irony or something. It was recently reissued.

wasn't referring to the LP, i was highlighting the single and in particular the track Booty Jones

• Lewis said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Lewis said:

wasn't referring to the LP, i was highlighting the single and in particular the track Booty Jones

I know you weren't referring to the LP. That's why I brought it up.

The reissue includes Booty Jones.