Lou Reed 1942 - 2013

2»

Comments

• You weren't that far off, Herm...

http://thegrio.com/2013/10/28/lou-reed-dead-tribe-called-quest-sampled-late-legends-walk-on-the-wild-side/

Unfortunately the relationship between the late rocker and the hip-hop collective was less than amiable.

Back in 2011, Quest member Phife Dawg claimed that Reed was the only one profiting from the success of the ???Can I Kick It???? sample.

???That was on our first album [People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm] and the sample is Lou Reed. F**k Lou Reed, man! F**k him. Because we didn???t see no money from that f**kin??? record yet. Really. Here???s what happened ??? and I take back saying ???F**k Lou Reed,??? because Lou Reed has every right to say ???Give me my motherf**king money,?????? he told an audience in the UK. ???So Lou Reed could have easily said, ???Oh yeah, a rap group use my sh*t? Alright.??? No. Anita Baker don???t let nobody use her sh*t, period. [???] So Lou Reed, instead of saying no altogether, he was like, ???Yeah, nice! Give me the motherf**king money.??? Like Smokey in Friday.???

Nothing there amounts to Herm being "not far off."

And Harvey calling Reed a hack is hilarious. I'll bet Harvey has more koala bears living in his bathroom than he has Lou Reed albums.

Don't check out "I Wanna Be Black," Harvey, you might faint and damage your tinfoil hat.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    well yeah lou reed was really good at being pissed and at pissing people off. he's even pissed at some of you!

doesn't mean his music sucks.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    For what it's worth, I definitely remember Lou discussing in interviews both in print and on tv the fact that "Walk On The Wild Side" had been sampled in "Wildside," the then-happening hit by your man Marky Mark. It was obviously a point of pride with him, and he seemed to be enjoying that his music was still, you know "out there in the streets," and was being given some new relevance by being referenced in rap (or, you know, ???rap???).

I have no recollection of hearing him say anything--positive or negative--about the Tribe Called Quest song a year or two earlier, but in the interviews he was giving in ???91, he clearly thought rap had a lot of merit, and was not at all on some ???rap ain???t music??? shit.

The worst worst-case scenario I can honestly conceive of here is that Lou had an attitude similar to that of Bob James, who, while not dismissive of rap, has been prickly--and vocal--about particular usages (e.g., I remember Bob explaining that he liked Ghostface???s ???Daytona 500??? because of the way the ???Nautilus??? sample was flipped to give it a little menacing edge, but that he refused clearance to Souls Of Mischief???s ???Cab Fare??? because he felt that the sped-up sample made his composition sound ???cartoonish???).

In the unlikely event that Lou did in fact diss the Tribe record (which I do not remember at all, and I was paying pretty close attention to all that shit back then) while smiling upon the Marky Mark record (which I remember with somewhat embarassing clarity), my feeling is that either:

a) Lou was okay with hearing his decades-old song of street reportage being used as a backdrop for a modern-day version of same (albeit, a clunky, reheated version), but less okay with it being used as a backdrop for party rhymes.

or

b) Mark cleared the sample beforehand and paid Lou up front, where Tribe did not.

If there was truly some bullshit over all this--which, again, I really doubt--I haven???t seen or heard anything that makes me believe it would have had anything to do with race or the overall validity of rap music.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    You weren't that far off, Herm...

http://thegrio.com/2013/10/28/lou-reed-dead-tribe-called-quest-sampled-late-legends-walk-on-the-wild-side/

Unfortunately the relationship between the late rocker and the hip-hop collective was less than amiable.

Back in 2011, Quest member Phife Dawg claimed that Reed was the only one profiting from the success of the ???Can I Kick It???? sample.

???That was on our first album [People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm] and the sample is Lou Reed. F**k Lou Reed, man! F**k him. Because we didn???t see no money from that f**kin??? record yet. Really. Here???s what happened ??? and I take back saying ???F**k Lou Reed,??? because Lou Reed has every right to say ???Give me my motherf**king money,?????? he told an audience in the UK. ???So Lou Reed could have easily said, ???Oh yeah, a rap group use my sh*t? Alright.??? No. Anita Baker don???t let nobody use her sh*t, period. [???] So Lou Reed, instead of saying no altogether, he was like, ???Yeah, nice! Give me the motherf**king money.??? Like Smokey in Friday.???

And how does any of this equate to Lou Reed being racist? It doesn't, unless wanting to be paid for your music being sampled is racist.

And in Harv's world DJ Screw is a genius and Lou Reed a hack? OK.....

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Not sure Tribe would have cleared it upfront. People weren't really doing that as a matter of routine back then. It's possible that it wasn't on Lou's radar until it blew up, but even that seems a little unlikely. I have a clear recollection of an NME interview with him from around '83/84, possibly when New Sensations was out and I Love You Suzanne was a hit, and in it he was waxing enthusiastically (by his standards) about then-current rap, even specifically mentioning a few things like CD III's Get Tough, an early Howie Tee production on Prelude. It makes sense on one level, him being Downtown as fuck before Downtown was even a thing, but nevertheless I do remember thinking how cool it was that he was still so plugged-in.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Horseleech said:

And in Harv's world DJ Screw is a genius and Lou Reed a hack? OK.....

They're both geniuses.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Horseleech said:
    why bring it up at all?

Yeah I mean.... I don't give a shit what Lou Reed thought about rap. Dude was a bonafide genius who changed the course of music, he was more talented, influential, cooler and tougher than 85% of all rappers ever.

I like Lou Reed and all, but...
    Rappers, DJs and producers in the 80s created a whole new style of music.
    Lou Reed was influential in furthering an already well established form of music.

b/w

Lou Reed was more talented, influential, cooler and tougher than 99.% of all rappers ever.
    Have all you all never been in a room with an open mic?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I thought Harvey was being sarcastic.

• LaserWolf said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Horseleech said:
    why bring it up at all?

Yeah I mean.... I don't give a shit what Lou Reed thought about rap. Dude was a bonafide genius who changed the course of music, he was more talented, influential, cooler and tougher than 85% of all rappers ever.

I like Lou Reed and all, but...
    Rappers, DJs and producers in the 80s created a whole new style of music.
    Lou Reed was influential in furthering an already well established form of music.

b/w

Lou Reed was more talented, influential, cooler and tougher than 99.% of all rappers ever.
    Have all you all never been in a room with an open mic?

This is dumb even by LazyWolf standards.

Rap wasn't created in the 80s, and wasn't "a whole new style of music." It had obvious antecedents and only an insipid imbecile would claim otherwise.

Reed himself knew how stupid that kind of talk was. Plenty of people called him an asshole, but he was never an imbecile. Let us now praise famous death dwarves.

• Herm said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Horseleech said:
    why bring it up at all?

My original question was about racist remarks, not whether or not he hated rap. R.I.F.

Beg pardon - I was confusing your post here with your facebook posts where The_Non suggested that Reed was a "rap isn't music" guy. Which you're kind of running with here, no? The point is that whether he said that, or something equally dismissive of ATCQ, or whether such a sentiment renders one racist, or not, seems silly. I don't need to affirm the state of the heart of every musician I enjoy, or every one that creates something of value. Being a good-hearted person is not a qualifier of great music or even great men. The list of morally indefensible rap music that both you and I enjoy is long indeed. I'm not tossing out my Ice Cube tapes any time soon.

Was Lou Reed racist? Who gives a shit? I doubt Reed would have. This is a discussion to be had by people who say "n-word".

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    bassie said:
    Well, that's pretty reasonable and fair. There is no identifiable basis for saying the guy made racist remarks but let's put it out there anyway and taint perceptions.

Reading this, it seems like this would have been a perfect opportunity to air out any and all issues with Lou Reed, given he was interfering with the group's paper...but alas...

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/a-tribe-called-quest-never-got-paid-for-can-i-kick/58939/

I understand what you're saying but he does the same thing in so many posts that when it comes to righteous indignation from LO I don't buy it.

• LazarusOblong said:

Rap wasn't created in the 80s, and wasn't "a whole new style of music." It had obvious antecedents and only an insipid imbecile would claim otherwise.

lol ok dude.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm bowing out now. My original, sincere and MISINFORMED question was regarding the racist aspect, which is important to me and doesn't die with the artist, no matter how great they may be. I don't give a damn who likes or doesn't rap music. My question has somehow turned to the thread focusing on that aspect.

R.I.P. Lou Reed. Oh wait...apparently that's not the right thing to say either. Yeeeeesh.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    bassie said:
    Well, that's pretty reasonable and fair. There is no identifiable basis for saying the guy made racist remarks but let's put it out there anyway and taint perceptions.

Reading this, it seems like this would have been a perfect opportunity to air out any and all issues with Lou Reed, given he was interfering with the group's paper...but alas...

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/a-tribe-called-quest-never-got-paid-for-can-i-kick/58939/

I understand what you're saying but he does the same thing in so many posts that when it comes to righteous indignation from LO I don't buy it.

Things are getting confused!

My comment was about Herm putting it out there that Reed said racist things even though there was no basis for it and he admitted as much.

I don't think it's reasonable or fair lol

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Let us no forget (apols if I missed someone posting this earlier in the thread), that Reed dug Yeezus.

• good work team. another proud moment for SS.

i sure do hope you guys are around to argue semantics and prose in memory of me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    good work team. another proud moment for SS.

i sure do hope you guys are around to argue semantics and prose in memory of me.

Waaaaambulance.

• no crying.

just shame.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Herm said:

R.I.P. Lou Reed. Oh wait...apparently that's not the right thing to say either. Yeeeeesh.

Oh please, that was in jest.

I was showing he was a pissy guy and even in death with that quote could piss people off, but that doesn't have anything to do with his body of work. It's a shame that people reading this will think that this made up "ATCQ racist comments" thing ever happened. Take that to TMZ pleez

• edith head said:
    Herm said:

Oh please, that was in jest.

I was showing he was a pissy guy and even in death with that quote could piss people off, but that doesn't have anything to do with his body of work. It's a shame that people reading this will think that this made up "ATCQ racist comments" thing ever happened. Take that to TMZ pleez

I hear you and agree, but I doubt anyone living in the triple-digit IQ realm will think there's anything to it for a minute. And no one familiar & friendly with Reed's life and work will do anything but piss on that sort of nonsense.

"
    ???LOU REED, 71??? by Byron Coley

LOU REED, 71

the easiest heroes are consistent
    but the ones who really shape us
    are random maniacs
    whose work we stumble across
    at times in our lives
    we desperately need misdirection

and so it was i met the music of lou reed
    through a guy named buzz
    who???d bought the first velvets album