Harvey - Have you seen this Houston Rap book?

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
http://sinecurebooks.com/

They are taking pre-orders now that will start shipping next month.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    just preordered the deluxe, thanks for the (Harvey) heads up

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    just knowing this existed put a smile on my face, hope its good

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've known it's been worked on and coming out soon. Haven't had my hands on a copy though. I imagine it would be good. But the strippers and gold grills shit is so played out to me, I'm already planning to skip those sections. And people have already scoured the city thoroughly for any scrap of anything on DJ Screw, so I doubt there will be any new info there. Fat Pat-Pimp C-Big Moe deaths, not really trying to revisit right now. Let's see if Big Mello even gets mentioned. While I'm happily expecting Z-Ro to receive his proper due in this as a manic depressive, bipolar genius, I wonder if the book will do the same for the Wicked Buddha Baby 3-2. And here goes, off the top of my head, my top10 Houston rap albums of all-time:

Geto Boys - We Can't Be Stopped
    Scarface - Mr. Scarface Is Back
    Big Mike - Something Serious
    Odd Squad - Fadenuf fa Erybody
    UGK - Ridin Dirty
    Lil Keke - Don't Mess With Texas
    Fat Pat - Ghetto Dreams
    Guerilla Maab - Rise
    Z-Ro - Look What You Did to Me
    Paul Wall & Chamillionaire - Get Ya Mind Correct

From the wall at Music Mania...

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I heard Music Mania is shutting down tomorrow.

billbradley said:
    I heard Music Mania is shutting down tomorrow.

True story.

Music Mania is famous for championing DJ Screw early on. They sold legit gray tapes back in the day, which kicked off the store becoming a direct distribution center for other regional upstarts such as ESG and Master P.

In recent years, it's been about the only place in town that stocks local rap cd's.

I love that place (even wrote an article in the Chronicle on them back in like '96 citing how they sold several thousand copies of 2Pac's All Eyez on Me), but honestly haven't even been in there since they moved a couple doors down from their original corner spot. And Dellwood's my part of town. I go to that Fiesta at least once a week.

Oh well, eras do end.