Mad Family Trees

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
Just found out my mum's side are descended from some Belfast bloke who fled to Scotland after chopping someone's head off in an argument and ended up marrying some descendant of King James the whatevvz, some part of the tree went down with the Titanic and mum's side married below their station and were outcasts.

That explains a lot.

Dad's side is a mystery as his mum died giving birth to him, he thought her maiden name was Tyrell but her birth certificate said something else, probably wrong birth certificate, dad was adopted by an aunt who married a man descended from a French musician whose family had fled from Scotland when they were kicking out Catholics.

I am wagering this is one of the blander 'Strut family trees? Whatchugot?

Comments

• according to circulating rumors, my birthfather is either;

a. the son of a prominent canadian politician

b. levon helm of the band.

so ive got that going for me, which is nice.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    apparently someone up the tree on my maternal grandfather's side was the sheriff of Tombstone back when all the shit was kicking off. I think whoever found that out eventually traced the family back to King Charlemagne, which apparently every family goes back to, so I take it with a grain of salt.

my father's family comes from a tiny town in Brazil that was not too different from the wild west until two or three generations ago. There are lots of stories of ye olde dramae, brothers killing brothers over inheritance, things of that nature. My grandfather's family was the more violent one, apparently his grandfather died young and his grandmother remarried to a much younger dude, who was then promptly killed by her sons during a hunting trip. One of his cousins, Juca Bed??o, was a notorious gunslinger and is now a figure of the local lore. Apparently he was killed after an ongoing feud with another family, which started because he shot off a dude's nose from across the street after dude had ordered a hunk of meat from his butcher shop, failed to pick it up for a month, and then refused to accept the rotting mound it had turned into. The town itself was so small and isolated that it was essentially composed of only two families who were constantly fighting, Hatfield and McCoy style. My grandparents were the first to marry between the families. Nowadays the bad blood is mostly gone, when we go visit everyone's a cousin to us and they hand us gallons of home-brewed cacha??a.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wyatt and Virgil Earp were the law assisted by brother Morgan and Doc Holliday.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

did the town have a mayor? It could've been that. Either way, I don't know that the person on that side of the family who got into genealogy was the best researcher, what with the whole Charlemagne thing.

• ppadilha said:
    LaserWolf said:

did the town have a mayor? It could've been that. Either way, I don't know that the person on that side of the family who got into genealogy was the best researcher, what with the whole Charlemagne thing.

Basically anyone with European ancestry is "descended from Charlemagne."

http://www.colleengenealogy.net/everyonecharlemagne.html

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I figure those subjects of the colonies will have more dramatic stories than my fairly ordinary British family history.

I do have a distant relative who was a famous Pirate Captain, but dude died kinda young and unmaried so there's no real lineage connection. Aside from him my family tree is pretty ordinary, other members of my family have Irish, Scotish, and Polish lines, but I don't personally. My maternal Great Grandmother's family fled religious persecution in France, but maried a guy who's family can be found in Bromsgrove (a town near [pratically part of] Birmingham if that helps the non UK familiar) for generation after genrartion going back to the birth of their family name. My paternal side seems to have some interesting individual's stories of miners from Devon and Cornwall, London dandys, social climbers, vagabonds and thieves. But beyond records of poorhouses, prisons or employment, I don't really know much about them.