What's your Roy Ayers top 5?

2»

Comments

• i want to add that one of the great things about roy ayers' records is that he continually re-interpreted his earlier catalog on latter lp's.

-sweet tears - i like the original, love the disco remake
    -when is real real? like the og, but the latter version has such an unusual, infectious tempo
    -didn't love form the sun get done a couple of times?

there are a bunch more but i can;t think of them now....

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    SIRUS said:
    Duderonomy said:
    utters said:
    How can Running Away possibly NOT be in anyone's top five?!!!?

Last time I played that out another DJ called me a slut :necessary:
    Maybe it's too well-known, played out or obvious, but I still love it.

can a classic be legitimately called "played out"? i understand if the track becomes kinda popular and then gets played out during that cycle but i feel like u can get away with playing snippets of classics forever.

Although I have always loved the song, I could definitely go without ever hearing any part of Pete and CL's TROY played out ever again.

good point. troy is the definition of a classic that is played out. i can still hear running away in public tho.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I am surprised that not everyone loves the sunshine.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I am surprised that anyone likes "Chicago".

I mean, it's a real curveball; the meandering space-cake soliloquy is intriguing, but the dissonant chords are frankly disturbing after a couple of minutes. And the Henrik Schwarz remix is even creepier...

..To me.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    1. hummin'
    2.Searching
    3 We Live In Brooklyn
    4. Brother Louie
    5. Daylight

Dude's the dude. Virgo Red was the first I bought of his in the mid 90's and the was no turning back: I was hooked. That Lp and Tear to a smile are epic IMO. He did a couple of killer cuts on the Dave Fathead Newman Lonely Avenue Lp as well, you can hear his sound coalescing.

Dude is also down-to-earth in person, met him a few times after gigs, always delivered the "Clown/Saint/Witch-Doctor-Historian" part and always happy to sign stuff and endure my minuscule-dude, slack-jawed questioning. He used to tour with Zachary Breaux, who I thought was a monster guitar player, and Dennis Davis, who was Stevie Wonder's drummer since time. Zach died jumping off a ferry to save a drowning tourist, IIRC. Tragic.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    Duderonomy said:
    utters said:

Me too. I also love Can't You See Me but always get told it's too cheesey. Poltroons.

Can't You See Me is sooo cheesy

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    utters said:
    Flomotion said:
    Duderonomy said:
    utters said:

Me too. I also love Can't You See Me but always get told it's too cheesey. Poltroons.

Can't You See Me is sooo cheesy

Oh completely, Cheese Royale. It was part of his overall thang. You could do an Ayers fondu top ten. I'd add Magic Lady, but no sure if anything out-cheddars Can't You See Me

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Magic Lady is right up there on the cheese board but lacking a certain pungency for the top spot.

• embryonic version of "coffee" here... also has early versions of "fire eater" and "sweet tears"....

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    embryonic version of "coffee" here... also has early versions of "fire eater" and "sweet tears"....

Forgot how good that version of Foxy Brown is, though not sure if there's any embryonic link with Coffy which had already been out for a year prior to this. Stil, Newman's solo is so good! Regarding "Fire Eater" I think you're referring to "Fire Weaver" on the Lonely Avenue LP.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    tabira said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    embryonic version of "coffee" here... also has early versions of "fire eater" and "sweet tears"....

Forgot how good that version of Foxy Brown is, though not sure if there's any embryonic link with Coffy which had already been out for a year prior to this. Stil, Newman's solo is so good! Regarding "Fire Eater" I think you're referring to "Fire Weaver" on the Lonely Avenue LP.

• Some of my favs worth mentioning. Evolution always kills it when I DJ

• So many great songs it's near impossible to pick 5 so I present: 10. I find most of the earlier stuff corny outside of He's Coming (some of the cover songs on those early to mid 70s albums are pretty much unbearable at this point) but I do like pretty much everything from A Tear To A Smile on. That being said dah dah:

1) D.C. City (Lots Of Lovin)
    2) Searching
    3) Everybody Loves The Sunshine
    4) Chicago (Lots Of Lovin)
    5) Running Away
    6) Everybody (Lots Of Lovin)
    7) The Memory
    8) A Tear To A Smile
    9) We Live In Brooklyn Baby
    10) Love From The Sun (Virgo Red)

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Tough one all right. I'm probably just reiterating what everyone else has said...

1. We Live In Brooklyn Baby
    2. Running Away
    3. Pretty Brown Skin
    4. He's A Superstar
    5. Brawling Broads

• 1. Running Away
    2. Boogie Back
    3. Sugar
    4. 2000 Black
    5. Rhythms of Your Mind

Bonus Beats (Top 5 Roy Ayers house joints)
    1. Ferry Ultra and Roy Ayers - Dangerous Jazz
    http://traxsource.com/track/753091/dangerous-jazz-original
    2. Roy Ayers - Brand New Feeling (Sting International Controversy Vocal)

3. Roy Ayers - Sugar (Joey Negro Club Mix)

4. Dangerous (Karizma and Spen remix)
    http://traxsource.com/track/753028/dangerous-vibes-spen-and-karizma-main-mix
    5. Masters At Work feat Roy Ayers - Our Time is Coming

Loved this remix:

"Those cats were grooving."