ZAPP & ROGER documentary

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central
Just saw this - from the unsung series highlighting artists not on the general publics' radar - I posted one about Kool Moe Dee a while back which I really enjoyed - havent watched this yet but - its Zapp & Roger, how could you go wrong?

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up! Looks like that YouBoob account has posted a bunch of them.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    always had a problem with the name of this series. how the fck are roger and zapp "unsung"?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I had the opportunity to watch it and it was very good, although it got kind of sad toward the end of it. Thanks for posting it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    always had a problem with the name of this series. how the fck are roger and zapp "unsung"?

I dont think that their art is Unsung, but the roster of folks that are highlighted dont have back-stories that are popular with the public.

I didnt know Rene was beatin' on Angela, one the Sylvers sisters got raped and beaten, Miki Howard was froze out of the game after her Billie Holiday-esque ideas, Norman Whitfield pimped out Rose Royce, and Shalamar hated each other.

The Roger/Zapp murder-suicide was pretty well discussed when it happened, but I never knew the backstory from the family/bandmates.

Latte Pas overall though.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

I didnt know Rene was beatin' on Angela,

Hey Batmon,

Man, Rene couldn't think of other ways of being physical with Angela Winbush than beating her? Just sayin' ;blap: (if I weren't happily married).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

Hey Batmon,

Man, Rene couldn't think of other ways of being physical with Angela Winbush than beating her? Just sayin' ;blap: (if I weren't happily married).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

"Cocaine is hell of a drug"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

Hey Batmon,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yeah, you gotta a point, mane. I used to think the same thing about Ike Turner (who also liked the powder). The only place I would've slapped Tina was on her ass.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

Hey Batmon,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yeah, you gotta a point, mane. I used to think the same thing about Ike Turner (who also liked the powder). The only place I would've slapped Tina was on her ass.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Rene, I think, knew that Angela was the Batman and he was the Robin, but couldn't swallow that pill.

Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

Hey Batmon,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Rene, I think, knew that Angela was the Batman and he was the Robin, but couldn't swallow that pill.

Hey Batmon,

I agree, and I'd say the same about Ike Turner in relation to Tina. It's a shame that Rene and Ike were too small to share in and relish the successes of their wives.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

Hey Batmon,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Batmon,

I agree, and I'd say the same about Ike Turner in relation to Tina. It's a shame that Rene and Ike were too small to share in and relish the successes of their wives.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yeah Stacks,

What if..in another universe, dudes said "fuck it" ill play the back and write/produce for them and still get top billing yet folks wanna see her.

I think Rene would have been able to make that transition, but Ike would have had a harder time as a Rock-N-Roll guitarist, playin' behind by the 80's.

Hey Batmon,

I agree with your assessment. Ike was a bit too limited to fit in stylistically during the 80s. The 80s (as well as cocaine use in a number of instances) killed a lot of artists in this respect.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Thanks for posting this. I must say growing up in canada and being in my 20's ZAPP is something i heard through hiphop and i fell in love with the music. I knew Roger was dead but had no idea how he passed. That last part is just real sad man especially that being such an amazing artist i bet turning into a "hook" man by the end to kinda keep afloat wasnt how he thought his life would turn out.

• BTW the Bootsy jawn is great! Anytime you can have more insight on JB and George Clinton is a blessing.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Thank you for posting this! :feelin_it:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    But where does "Computer Love" stand in the vocoder canon?

Somewhere between ELO Mr Blue Sky and Herbie's ITTWY in my PMG.

And how much entertaining it would be if you could feed a politician or boss speech through a vocoder.
    iOS 8 perhaps?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Very interesting watch - great to see how they gave back to the community and how there are rows of houses in Dayton testifying to that fact.
    In my mind the music of Zapp and Roger is inextricably linked to west coast hip hop and gang banging anthems especially - there was a time where you couldn't hear a west coast tune without some Zapp/Roger in it somewhere - I mean Snoop is in there and they talk about sampling, but the music of Zapp is ingrained so deeply in west coast-gang culture, you'd expect to see some of that reflected in a piece about their legacy, although i can see why they'd steer away from that...

Computer Love / Piru Love