The Click Of Death (Zip-related)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central

Help! Please!

I just heard it once. It stopped, I ejected the disk.... don't want to put another disk in (or the same) because I recall it being futile, or the drive will ruin more disks, or disks will contract AIDS and become homeless. Hopefully I can save the one disk. What can I do??

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    still using a zip or jizz drive in 2014?

i am disappoint son

the disc that clicked is ruined as is the drive

you can take your chances and buy a working one offa ebay
    but basically you are fucked
    are we talking MPC?

• kala said:
    still using a zip or jizz drive in 2014?

i am disappoint son

the disc that clicked is ruined as is the drive

you can take your chances and buy a working one offa ebay
    but basically you are fucked
    are we talking MPC?

fuck, I know.

I've been scoping SCSI drives on the bay for years, too.

ASR 10.

• I inserted a blank and it seemed to read it. I'm scared to try anything else.

• Another formatted disk loads up ok.

Worried about inserting the other disk though. It's got most of the info and if it craps further, I would lose important stuff.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if that's the first time it's happening (to drive or disc) it's possible that it's okay but probably on its way out. i would fuck around with the blank and see if the drive eats it. if it works for a while you are reading and writing to the disk, the drive might be okay. do you have an extra drive anywhere?

• I was able to load the thing I wanted from the original disk. I bounced it and shut it down.

Buying a SCSI hard drive now, hopefully can keep it going long enough to copy over.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    why are you guys bumping threads from 1998?

• ppadilha said:

Hah ahahahahaha. I went back and looked at the date.

I got a scsi flash for my mpc. Works great. They seem hard to find now though. I was able to load and resave all my old zip disks.

Good luck.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its completely weird that you posted this tonight as i googled "click of death" about an hr before you posted
    wtf?

• Google is tracking you dog. JP is one of their content creation bots. They know what you like.

• Grown Man Rap-related?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    dubs

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    hahahahahahaha
    good one 7

[puts on tin foil hat,hides in the sub basement]

• GUYS, I SAID THIS WOULD HAPPEN to everyone EVENTUALLY.

IT HAS HAPPENED.

EVERYTHING IS RUINED, DONT RISK IT. I LOST 7 YEARS OF BEATS THAT WAY. WALK AWAY SON. WALK AWAY
    or check my thread on it from a few years ago.

• Seriously though, DO NOT put anything else in that drive. It has already begun to put microscopic pits in your data. The next step is for the head to fly completely off. the drive is ruined as is any disks that were in it in its last days. Those disk are now "killer disks" as they are pitted and will destroy a new zip drive head and create the same cycle.

Seriously you must walk away and throw away the drive and the disks it has created now.

• PatrickCrazy said:
    if that's the first time it's happening (to drive or disc) it's possible that it's okay but probably on its way out. i would fuck around with the blank and see if the drive eats it. if it works for a while you are reading and writing to the disk, the drive might be okay. do you have an extra drive anywhere?

no. that drive is dead and is creating disks that will go on to destroy new drives now. Once it's off kilter its a wrap.

• "yo, you know that girl Stacy?"

"the brunette?"

"yeah...that chick is mad scsi. And you know her friends?"

"who? Lisa and thems?"

"word, that bit#h be rolling with the clique of death."

"yo, but I'd paint three of them murals for some of that ass."

"naw son, once you put it in, your shit is destroyed. Talking bout microscopic pits in your data son. Ain't no turning back."

"word?"

"walk away son. Walk away."

• 4YearGraduate said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

no. that drive is dead and is creating disks that will go on to destroy new drives now. Once it's off kilter its a wrap.

What I'm hoping is that I can get the hard drive in the mail, and dump all contents of the two disks, then I don't care I'm happy to pitch it all.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    GUYS, I SAID THIS WOULD HAPPEN to everyone EVENTUALLY.

IT HAS HAPPENED.

EVERYTHING IS RUINED, DONT RISK IT. I LOST 7 YEARS OF BEATS THAT WAY. WALK AWAY SON. WALK AWAY
    or check my thread on it from a few years ago.

Biblical apocalypse now type talk for data and beats.
    Props sir.

• ppadilha said:

no one's laughing at your shitty situation, but this is kind of a good burn.

also it had to be done

4YearGraduate said:
    Those disk are now "killer disks" as they are pitted

• Controller_7 said:
    "yo, you know that girl Stacy?"

"the brunette?"

"yeah...that chick is mad scsi. And you know her friends?"

"who? Lisa and thems?"

"word, that bit#h be rolling with the clique of death."

"yo, but I'd paint three of them murals for some of that ass."

"naw son, once you put it in, your shit is destroyed. Talking bout microscopic pits in your data son. Ain't no turning back."

"word?"

"walk away son. Walk away."

:comedy_gold:

ha ha ha....now that is hilarious..