Mayweather - Canelo

StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central
Havent been this psyched for awhile about a fight. The Matthysse/Garcia undercard is out of this world as well.
I see this being a wide UD for Mayweather, but Im really interested to see whether Canelo's size/strength will throw Money off. Dude is probably gonna walk into the ring around 170..
Thoughts/predictions?

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I'm amped as well. It might be one of the last PPV boxing events I care about for a long time...Friday Night Fights has been dope though.

My thoughts:

Canelo typically bulks up after the initial weigh in...sometimes putting on almost 20 pounds immediately after the official weigh-in. He typically takes on 154 pound fights and this one is at 152 due to the size difference between fighters...I think this is point to Canelo. May normally fights at 147 and below...might compliment the fact that he's aging but it also might take away that classic Mayweather speed.

I think the real deciding factor is going to be the boxing genius of Mayweather...it wins every time (exciting fight or not) and I simply don't think Alvarez has the discipline and experience needed to hang with the Champ....yet.

X-factor 1...Canelo might catch him. I don't think he'll outbox Mayweather but he could catch him. People have caught him before who aren't as good as Canelo is right now (Mayweather/Mosely round 2). If he catches Mayweather, I suspect he's an opponent with the biggest chance of being able to take real advantage of that and go for the kill.

X-factor 2 and 3...Mayweather hasn't been in a significant fight in a looooooong time...also his age.

At the end of the day, Mayweather is a boxing genius anything he sacrifices/loses in the size difference, his age, the young kid's power, etc...he will compensate for all those things with the appropriate boxing approach at the appropriate time because that is simply what he does.

Smart money: Boring fight (for people who don't enjoy watching Mayweather do his thing) where Mayweather turtles every flurry of activity from the Kid. Canelo will have some brief moments where he gets the crowd into it (but the slow-mo-after-round-replay will show that Mayweather's Philly Roll style deflected virtually all shots), eventually the Kid will get frustrated (as all mortal Mayweather opponents do) and Mayweather will make him pay but Canelo won't go down once. END RESULT: Unanimous Decision to Mayweather.

....butCanelocouldcatchem'...justsayin'

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    [ quote author="JectWon" date=1378914972]I'm amped as well. It might be one of the last PPV boxing events I care about for a long time...Friday Night Fights has been dope though.

My thoughts:

Canelo typically bulks up after the initial weigh in...sometimes putting on almost 20 pounds immediately after the official weigh-in. He typically takes on 154 pound fights and this one is at 152 due to the size difference between fighters...I think this is point to Canelo. May normally fights at 147 and below...might compliment the fact that he's aging but it also might take away that classic Mayweather speed.
    ::
    I think the real deciding factor is going to be the boxing genius of Mayweather...it wins every time (exciting fight or not) and I simply don't think Alvarez has the discipline and experience needed to hang with the Champ....yet.

X-factor 1...Canelo might catch him. I don't think he'll outbox Mayweather but he could catch him. People have caught him before who aren't as good as Canelo is right now (Mayweather/Mosely round 2). If he catches Mayweather, I suspect he's an opponent with the biggest chance of being able to take real advantage of that and go for the kill.

X-factor 2 and 3...Mayweather hasn't been in a significant fight in a looooooong time...also his age.

At the end of the day, Mayweather is a boxing genius anything he sacrifices/loses in the size difference, his age, the young kid's power, etc...he will compensate for all those things with the appropriate boxing approach at the appropriate time because that is simply what he does.

Smart money: Boring fight (for people who don't enjoy watching Mayweather do his thing) where Mayweather turtles every flurry of activity from the Kid. Canelo will have some brief moments where he gets the crowd into it (but the slow-mo-after-round-replay will show that Mayweather's Philly Roll style deflected virtually all shots), eventually the Kid will get frustrated (as all mortal Mayweather opponents do) and Mayweather will make him pay but Canelo won't go down once. END RESULT: Unanimous Decision to Mayweather.

Great analysis, JectbWon!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Looking forward to both fights a lot. Matthysse's the favourite on the undercard for me but could definitely go either way.

Hoping Alvarez beats Mayweather, who has to be the favourite to win via UD, but if Canelo can work the body with his strong, clever attacks he is in with a great shot. Will be a real challenge for Mayweather and a great fight for the fans.

[ quote author="JectWon" date=1378914972]I'm amped as well. It might be one of the last PPV boxing events I care about for a long time...Friday Night Fights has been dope though.

My thoughts:

::

Great analysis, JectbWon!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Thanks, man!

Also...to anyone who plans on watching this...do NOT sleep on the Matthysse vs Garcia undercard. I have a buddy who thinks that fight might steal the show...he's got a knack for calling em' right.

• Mathhysse vs Garcia will be a bad ass fight, you could bet money on that.

I'm of mexican descent so I've been cheering Canelo for a while now. I went to see his fight with Austin Trout in San Antonio too.
    The biggest things I think of are this:

1. Canelo's Youth.
    2. Floyd's Age.
    3. Shortest time between fights that Floyd has had in YEARS.
    4. Canelo's weight.

If Canelo can lean on Floyd and batter his arms with his heavy punches, he could successfully nullify Floyds counter punching. He would still have to deal with his defense in order to get a KO. I can see Canelo winning a split decision because he nullify's Floyd counters and brings flurries that look good (but probably wont hit much).

The likely scenario is a classic Floyd unanimous decision.

or 170 lb Canelo can catch him.

• Angel Garcia getting excited again.

Grandfather said:

3. Shortest time between fights that Floyd has had in YEARS.

Fantastic point that I forgot about. Compound that with his age and the fact that this is a very significant opponent and I feel like this is one of the riskiest fights that Mayweather might ever have taken on since achieving his pound for pound Champ status.

As a matter of fact, I'm trying to think of a more significant/riskier fight in Matweather's later career and I cannot think of one. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Maybe Arturo Gatti (RIP) in 05 or Zab in 06? I think Zab was already kind of on the downslope, considering he was already coming off a loss. And I know that the Gatti fight did big numbers but I can't remember what kind of form Gatti was in at the time.

The more I think about it, the more I think this might be the riskiest fight of Mayweather's career...it's still a significant advantage to Mayweather.

I'm probably making this fight a bigger deal than it might be because I'm excited to watch it.

EDIT: there are probably good arguments that might suggest the Mayweather Cotto fight to be a riskier one for the Champ.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Mayweather's genius is letting his opponents beat themselves. From time to time, he gives them a little subliminal nudge in this direction, a sprinkle of trash-talk perhaps, to stop them adopting the same tactic, but it's as much a test of patience as anything else.

Which is not to say he doesn't have great boxing ability, which he does, he is probably the most efficient fighter I've ever seen, at any weight. Classic prizefighter. Which is why, IIRC, he's the highest-paid sportsman in the world?

• $45.1m for this fight I think.

SP 1200 said:
    $45.1m for this fight I think.

Yup...guranteed; regardless of outcome. And that is BEFORE PPV numbers come in.

• JectWon said:

You wouldnt count Cotto as significant?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm not trying to mess with this thread but
    Is anyone thru with boxing or is it just me? When the heavyweight division became a joke and they don't show any fights on (free) TV, I sorta walked away. I don't wanna see 2 tiny guys boxing. If I did, I'd go clubbing more and stand outside and watch.
    Oh, and fights being fixed.
    Sorry, no threadhijack.

• 2013's been a good year for the sport.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    The_Non said:
    I'm not trying to mess with this thread but
    Is anyone thru with boxing or is it just me? When the heavyweight division became a joke and they don't show any fights on (free) TV, I sorta walked away. I don't wanna see 2 tiny guys boxing. If I did, I'd go clubbing more and stand outside and watch.
    Oh, and fights being fixed.
    Sorry, no threadhijack.

I think it's always been about as straight as a 3?? pound note, but when two guys go at it, Hearns/Hagler-style, it's magic. You just have to accept the theatrics and sideshow spiel of the Don Kings and dem. The heavyweight scene is a joke though. I lost interest when David Haye got beat.

StoneHands said:
    JectWon said:

You wouldnt count Cotto as significant?

It's definitely significant. But, Cotto seemed to be in a weird place at that point in his career. He caught a fraudulent loss from Margarito (we all know now that Margarito had loaded his wraps) and his loss from his outright battle with Paqcuiao. Then, after his Mayweather loss, he took an L from Austin Trout. He came back and beat the breaks off of Margarito in the rematch before the Mayweather fight but he seemed a bit changed after that Margarito 1 fight...

The kinda fight that leaves you like this changes a dude, imo...

img src="http://www.eastsideboxing.com/fotos/cotto3222.jpg
    " alt="" />

I think during the time that Mayweather fought Cotto, it wasn't as risky/significant as the Alvarez fight (but that's just my opinion). Alvarez is on the come up and probably as healthy and physically able as he'll ever be. I just feel like it's one of the most biggest fights of Floyd's career....it's definitely not a fight that people can point at and accuse Mayweather of cherry picking his opponents.

• It's an exciting fight no doubt about it. Mayweather could come unstuck and there'd be a new young boxing hero.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

It was Money May all day...just another sparring session. Garcia vs.Matthyse was the fight of the night. Garcia is a bad boy!!! It was a great card except for that Is Ishe Smith - Carlos Molina stinker.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    So... Bieber fever anyone?

Gary said:
    So... Bieber fever anyone?

Haha, that was a hilarious entrance.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--judging--controversy--can-t-steal-thunder-from-floyd-mayweather-in-lopsided-win-070711094.html

LAS VEGAS ??? Not everyone goes home from an evening in Vegas $8,000 in profit but Cynthia J. Ross did just that on Saturday night. And even though Ross, a ringside judge, pocketed approximately 5,000 times less than Floyd Mayweather, it is hard to argue that she deserved a cent of it.

While every pay-per-view customer around the world, every fan at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, both Mayweather and his opponent, Canelo Alvarez, and even the guy with the wonky eyesight squinting from the nosebleed section saw that this was one of the biggest blowouts in recent boxing history, a lady with one of the best seats in the house missed it.

Ross scored the contest, if you can call it that, as a 114-114 draw, handing six rounds to each fighter. To all other witnesses, it seemed like the Mexican youngster barely landed six convincing punches, let alone did enough meaningful work to deserve a judge's nod.

In Ross' defense ??? (crickets).

Horrendous judging does nothing for the credibility of boxing and her reported paycheck of $8,000 should at least demand a certain level of competence. Mayweather's response when the decision was announced ??? "What the [expletive] is that?" said it all. Of course, boxers are routinely able to delude themselves over the actual veracity of the decision-making but there should have been no confusion here.

"It was so one-sided," boxing legend Bernard Hopkins said. "I don't care who it is, when it is not right, it is not right. I don't know where it came from."

Just as Mayweather knew that he had convincingly won just about every round, so too was Alvarez well aware of how badly he had been beaten. The 23-year-old's corner even told him at the midway point that he needed to win every round from that stage onwards, evidence that they believed he had been shut out until then.

Even the cards of Dave Moretti (116-112 to Mayweather) and Craig Metcalfe (117-111) left something to be desired. Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole scored it 120-108, while all three Showtime television experts gave Alvarez no more than two rounds.

The official statistics showed that Mayweather landed a total of 232 punches, compared to 117 for Alvarez. He was especially dominant with the jab, connecting with 139 to 44.

"He was simply too good," Alvarez conceded after the fight.

That sentiment was obvious to everyone except Ross, who incredibly gave Alvarez rounds 1, 3, 8, 9, 11 and 12 was also one of the judges that gave Timothy Bradley a laughable decision over Manny Pacquiao last June.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer was furious that boxing's biggest fight of the year was tainted by such ludicrous judging. Ross was appointed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which selects all judges for fights within its jurisdiction.

"The whole world was watching and obviously that scorecard was a disgrace," Schaefer said. "How that judge could be appointed after the decision of Bradley and Pacquiao is not a question I can answer. How can that happen? Is it going to happen again?"

For his part, Mayweather took the high road (sort of) when asked about the judging controversy.

"The best commission in the world is the Nevada commission, so I???ll leave it in their hands," Mayweather said. "[Ross], I think, could be older. I believe it???s a woman, she could be kind of older."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I fully disagree with the one judge calling it a draw and I fully understand Mayweather's style of fighting, but if Floyd really wants a more convincing decision...knock dude down at least once. Sheesh!

• Her decision was awful, I know a few guys that have lost money as a result of that. She was involved in the Bradley - Pacman controversy too.

Can't fault Mayweather, it was a boxing masterclass from him again. The performance of the night for me was from Garcia, don't think anyone expected him to dispatch Matthysse as easily as he did.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Well, while I do consider Mayweather to be an amazing boxer, I DO FAULT HIM for purposefully only fighting to win on points. I like a boxer that fights to destroy his opponent, not just out tactic and out-stat him. KNOCK HIM THE FUCK OUT ALREADY!

• I think we all feel the same. He knows how to win a fight though.

SP 1200 said:
    Her decision was awful, I know a few guys that have lost money as a result of that. She was involved in the Bradley - Pacman controversy too.

Can't fault Mayweather, it was a boxing masterclass from him again. The performance of the night for me was from Garcia, don't think anyone expected him to dispatch Matthysse as easily as he did.

Hey SP 1200,

Yes, indeed, Danny Garcia stole the show. He really impressed me with his combination of grit and savvy. I'm finally a believer in him as a top-notch fighter. Ishe Smith is and has always been...a pretender!!! Dude is butt!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Alright Stacks, looking forward to Garcia's next fights would love to see him make the jump up to 147. Peace buddy.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    There was a point near the end where mayweather's hand hit something on the side of the ring and he sort of looked over confused like "what was that??" before focusing back on his opponent. It a was a funny moment.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Athleticism, unpredictability, experience, everything was in favor of Mayweather.....

I mean, that jab is indefensible, and as soon as Canelo got close he'd be counterpunched.

I don't think anyone will actually get close to beating him.....

• Gary said:
    There was a point near the end where mayweather's hand hit something on the side of the ring and he sort of looked over confused like "what was that??" before focusing back on his opponent. It a was a funny moment.

Floyd was clowning Canelo there. Canelo threw a hard punch which only hit the ropes - Mayweather had already moved out of the way (impressive speed) - so he was looking at the ropes as if to say, "what in the world were you punching at?"

BruceGeetz said:
    Gary said:

Floyd was clowning Canelo there. Canelo threw a hard punch which only hit the ropes - Mayweather had already moved out of the way (impressive speed) - so he was looking at the ropes as if to say, "what in the world were you punching at?"

Yep. Classic Mayweather shit.

I rewatched the fight again last night. Kinda bummed about how one sided it was. I honestly thought Canelo would penetrate the shoulder roll at least a little better than he did. Mayweather's speed is so damn impressive. That is what a fighter can do when he avoids taking unnecessary shots over the course of his career.

My only concern for Mayweather going forward is his punching power. He was working the shit out of the right side of Canelo's face and there didn't seem to be much visual damage at all; except for a small amount of swelling.

Going forward, I'm interested to see what Pacquiao does in the Brandon Rios fight. Will he just go through the motions or will be make a statement...