Favorite pop music summer jam?

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
Or which is more popular in your area? Here it's Robin followed by Bruno followed by Daft Punk, though personally I love 'em all equally. Good, fun dance music that's a refreshing departure from the typical "EDM"/fistpump wave that's been all the rage lately. "Organic club bangers" maybe? I'm basing this off of requests, crowd participation (dancing and singing along) and what I hear people listening to outside of the club.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I would've added this to that other thread but my dumb ass couldn't figure out the poll thing. Sorry Batty.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

When I was in NYC, there was this young dude with a guitar singing Get Lucky in the subway. Wish I had recorded it.

I'm also enjoying Zero 7 - On My Own. Tho, it sounds kinda like I'm listening to another Get Lucky.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I only know the Daft Punk. Don't have much contact with much pop music thankfully.

Okem said:
    I only know the Daft Punk. Don't have much contact with much pop music thankfully.

Give it a go, sir! Maybe just the audio though 'cause the video is definitely on a throwback seen-it-all-before tip.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I just went on YouTube to give em a listen. Unfortunately my impressions were not good.

On first listen i thought the Robin track is a bit of a stinker IMHO, but I'm not a fan. It was a bit like The Neptunes producing Tom Jones, whilst he channelled Justin Timberlake doing a bad impression of James Brown.
    Mars I don't think much of either, but this track is alright. Although it left me with a feeling like I gone out to eat steak, but all I could afford was the cheapest cut, and every bite just reminded me that whilst I was indeed eating steak, it was still a poor excuse for steak. Props to him because he actually writes and produces his own material though.

Okem said:

Although it left me with a feeling like I gone out to eat steak, but all I could afford was the cheapest cut, and every bite just reminded me that whilst I was indeed eating steak, it was still a poor excuse for steak.

Ha!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I fux w/ Treasure.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    That Daft Punk track was so weak. Luckily though where I live the song of the summer will always be freestyle blasting out of a Honda Civic.. so there's my vote.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Back in the day, people would make music, whether that be rock music, country music, rap music, reggae music, whatever...and some of that became pop music in that it became popular.

Nowadays, people think that pop is actually a genre on to itself within which they stoop as low as they conceivably can to make the most least-common-denominator music possible...and it all sucks.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    This is only for THIS summer?

I ride for Blurred Lines. Played it at a gig last week. Crowd went nuts, since they weren't expecting it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Back in the day, people would make music, whether that be rock music, country music, rap music, reggae music, whatever...and some of that became pop music in that it became popular.

Nowadays, people think that pop is actually a genre on to itself within which they stoop as low as they conceivably can to make the most least-common-denominator music possible...and it all sucks.

One of the songs in this poll trumps this very argument, which I bet even you would admit is a silly one to make.

"Get Lucky," while definitely lite disco (sup Gaffler) isn't exactly kowtowing to "pop," unless - and correct me if I'm wrong - a Niles Rogers guitar lick is the fast lane to chart success in 2013.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    white_tea said:
    HarveyCanal said:

One of the songs in this poll trumps this very argument, which I bet even you would admit is a silly one to make.

"Get Lucky," while definitely lite disco (sup Gaffler) isn't exactly kowtowing to "pop," unless - and correct me if I'm wrong - a Niles Rogers guitar lick is the fast lane to chart success in 2013.

Ill disagree.

They are doing Retro-Nostalgic Disco. Nile Rogers' sound is a ubiquitous as common commercial guitar Rock.
    Daft Funk are Pop.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Herm said:
    Okem said:

Give it a go, sir! Maybe just the audio though 'cause the video is definitely on a throwback seen-it-all-before tip.

I hope breakbot is gettin paid

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    white_tea said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Um, I'm going to need Pharrell say "we're up all night to get lucky" a few more times as he didn't quite say it enough for my tastes in that seemingly-sterilized non-pop chune.

• NabozoNabozo 48 Posts
    pop was always about common denominator though and country, rap, rock, reggae etc are still represented in top40, maybe even more than before (did roots reggae ever charted? marley's brand excluded) not to say there's no format and formula but was it ever different I doubt it. i mean, some pretty surprising things have charted lately.