Rep your tequila/mezcal

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
So who fusk with the agave?

been lucky thru work to be trying alot of nice shit (and inspired by the whisk(e)y thread).

some of the better stuff ive been sipping (no lick suck and shot crap) includes - Casa Noble A??ejo, Tapatio, Chinaco, Los Abuelos, Del Maguey Vida, Bru-xo, Bahnez, Tromba Repo, Tres Generaciones A??ejo and good old Calle 23 and Ocho blancos.

also digging mezcal twists of negronis and penicillans.

Anyone else drinking much agave spirits? I heard Cali cats get there hands on some good shit from down south that many others dont.

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I used to love Tequila but once I really got into Mezcal there was no turning back...

So glad I brought along a few boxes when moving to Costa Rica. From the left:
    Los Nahuales reposado, Los Nahuales Anejo, Illegal Anejo, Del Maguey Espadin Especial, Del Maguey Minero, Del Maguey Tobala, Del Maguey Pechuga, Mezcalero Releases #2, #3 & #4.

Best bottle I've had all year:

Real Minero Espad??n, Trip??n, Barril & Largo, Release #1: 4 types of Agave that had to mature for 12-18 years before being harvested. Only 240 bottles made back in 2008. As with all Mineros, distilled in a pot still made of terracotta with bamboo tubing and left to settle in earthen jugs for a few months before being bottled. Never touched any plastic or metal.

The people who import and distribute this stuff in Germany also run a small unofficial club in Berlin called Mezcaleria Lupita where I had the pleasure to spin, drink and party a few months back.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Don Pilar

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    they dont sell mezcal in quebec and i want to shoot myself after frank made me taste nahuales

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    THIS

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    THIS

Just finished a bottle of that and yeah, mind blowing.

One thing that weirded me out, though, was the 'wax' seal on the top that was really some godawful smelling plastic. I had to cut it off the bottle entirely and wash the bottle to get rid of the smell.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Frank said:

Best bottle I've had all year:

Real Minero Espad??n, Trip??n, Barril & Largo, Release #1: 4 types of Agave that had to mature for 12-18 years before being harvested. Only 240 bottles made back in 2008. As with all Mineros, distilled in a pot still made of terracotta with bamboo tubing and left to settle in earthen jugs for a few months before being bottled. Never touched any plastic or metal.

Got to try and track some of that down. Locally there's only a few mezcal brands available commercially but lots of local bartenders visit Mexico on the regular and bring back more rare shit, so you can get a taste of some great stuff at many local small bars - plus heaps of dudes here are ordering their shit directly from overseas.

I got a chance to sit in on a tasting session of the whole Del Maguey range with Ron Cooper recently - great mezcal and he's an awesome dude - so many crazy stories and knowledge. He mentioned a new range of Del Maguey's (which should be available here next year hopefully) Vinos de Mezcal - which has some interesting limited edition expressions such as this one (blue agave grown in Oaxaca by the same guy behind San Luis Del Rio)

Pierdas Almas has released a Mezcal Gin which I was lucky to get a small taste off (hard to find anyone to share too much of it as there's only a few bottles available in Australia). Interesting stuff but might not be everyone's cup of tea.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Weird Tequila fact of the day:

You Can Make Diamonds Out Of It

• Reserva de La Familia is the best I've tasted, but I've only seen it for $150 on a bottle. I can't really splash out like that.

However, I did get a bottle of Clase Azul Reposado as a gift recently, and it's very, very good:

Siete Leguas A??ejo is also really good, and it's only about $50 a bottle.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    There's a place in San Diego called the Old Town Deli and you have to wade through tequila bottles to make it to the counter. The dude that runs it is an Agave Spirits competition judge and always has good recommendations. I'm most recently on Crotalo Extra Anejo and it's really good:

He's also recommended Sin Rival, which I bought and sent to my dad, but I haven't tried yet: