WTF Soundcloud?

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
Just go this happy little email from Soundcloud after trying to post a new mix.
Is this new? Am I out-of-the-loop on this development?
The mix was direct from vinyl and had no tracks listed in it, so they must've used some shazaam-like tech to detect this.

"Hello XXXXXXXXXXX,

Our automatic content protection system has detected that your sound "XXXXXX" may contain the following copyright content: "More Hot Fun" by Stanley Clarke, owned by Epic. As a result, its publication on your profile has been blocked.

You can dispute this report, if you believe the copyright content has been mistakenly identified or if you have obtained all the necessary rights, licenses and/or permissions to upload and share this material on SoundCloud.

Please do so by filling out our dispute webform at the following link:

If you would like to learn more about copyright, please visit our copyright information page."

Thanks,

The SoundCloud Copyright Team"

Forget about the NSA.....I don't want EPIC RECORDS knowing what records I have in my collection then blocking my mixes.

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    That's old news. Soundcloud has been doing that for a little while.
    Sometimes it helps to put a selfmade intro at the beginning of your mix. Seems like the automatic dectection only checks the first few minutes of the file.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    ha! I got the same message after I remade an instrumental for BDP's Gimme Dat (Woy) and tried to upload it..

We've been notified that one of your uploads, "Cityboy - Gimme Dat Instrumental 2013"
    may contain copyright content and we've disabled it. If you believe
    you do have permission to use this content, or that a mistake has
    been made, please go to
    http://soundcloud.com/settings/disputes.

Please note that you've been sent an email about this to your registered
    email's inbox.

Need more info about copyright? Check our Copyright Information pages.

I tried to upload it again a few days later and posted links to all the samples used and gave credit and also posted links to where you could buy the sampled tracks from Amazon.ca and amazon.com and received the same shit...I have still yet to find a way to get around this bullshit, I might try again using a different name for the track as I believe that is what is creating my issue, soundcloud as been fussy as fuck with this shit as a few other people I know have had the same misfortune.. but on the other hand I have a bunch of friends who upload mixes and shit all the time with no issues what so ever...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    ha! I got the same message after I remade an instrumental for BDP's Gimme Dat (Woy) and tried to upload it..

We've been notified that one of your uploads, "Cityboy - Gimme Dat Instrumental 2013"
    been made, please go to

email's inbox.

I tried to upload it again a few days later and posted links to all the samples used and gave credit and also posted links to where you could buy the sampled tracks from Amazon.ca and amazon.com and received the same shit...I have still yet to find a way to get around this bullshit, I might try again using a different name for the track as I believe that is what is creating my issue, soundcloud as been fussy as fuck with this shit as a few other people I know have had the same misfortune.. but on the other hand I have a bunch of friends who upload mixes and shit all the time with no issues what so ever...

where was that tune featured in your mix?
    at the beginning?

Mine was the first track....so i'm thinking of maybe dropping in a minute or so of just looped ocean sounds to start the set and then changing the name to see if that fools it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I had soundcloud send me one of these emails on a song I produced. The labels (in this case, merge records) submit their entire catalogs to a bot that seeks out these potential violations of copyright. A simple email to soundcloud quickly and smoothly over-rode the issue and kept things moving. They're just covering their own ass.

mrmatthew said:
    dj_cityboy said:

been made, please go to

email's inbox.

where was that tune featured in your mix?
    at the beginning?

Mine was the first track....so i'm thinking of maybe dropping in a minute or so of just looped ocean sounds to start the set and then changing the name to see if that fools it.

mine wasn't actually in any mix, it was just an instrumental that I had created using the same samples to create the track, I was inspired by Jorun's recent "instrumentals you never got" and decided I would try to create one....pretty shitty that I cant upload it even after all the credit and shit I tried to give, not sure how other dudes clearly get away with doing the same thing on soundcloud or dudes who create remixes, a few months ago I had uploaded and old remix I did of Madonna's - die another day and had no issues what so ever, I clearly used samples and verses and choruses from the track...but I was able to upload it without any issues at all...tbh, I think someone over at soundcloud has their head in the sand..

Not to keep harping on this subject, but i got a notice from Soundcloud that a mix i posted over 1 year ago was being removed for copyright issues.
    Are they now going back and rechecking all the old stuff instead of only checking once you upload?
    Has anyone else had this happen?

holy shit...really? thats going to be disastrous for some people.... what a bunch of crap, i cant understand though how someone like Jim Sharp gets away with all these edits/remix/flips and all those tracks never get got or found/caught for copyrights...

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Very weird, I haven't heard of this happening to anybody else I know. I upload mixes to Soundcloud every week with relatively well know tracks on them, track lists and everything, and I haven't heard a peep. Why would they do this?! It seems to me the site gets used predominantly for mixes and remixes. Could this, along with the size limits, be the reason people are using mixcloud more often now?

Im wondering if it has to do with having the DOWNLOAD option selected or not as to weather they give you extra scrutiny for content?

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Do you have it selected or not? I don't have it selected. That does make sense, copyright cops step in so you can't download and keep.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    definitely a shazammer vs what dropbox is using to identify baddies

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    Im wondering if it has to do with having the DOWNLOAD option selected or not as to weather they give you extra scrutiny for content?

I can only say it hasn't made any difference in my experience if it is downloadable or not. What I do these days is upload a snippet or intro to a mix to see if there's an issue before I finish the project