Which record did you buy because of the Soulstrut 100?

YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
Which records (OG or reish) did you buy because you read about it in the Soulstrut Top 100?

For me it's been:

# 64 - Archie Whitewater - Archie Whitewater (1970)
Hmmm, love the sample, but the whole thing hasn't grown on me so far.

# 79 - McNeal & Niles - Thrust
I had completely slept on this, never heard of it and copped it cheap on CD on Amazon. Thanks Soulstrut.

# 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)
The word "psychedelic" usually makes me move on to the next item. This sounded interesting though and the CD did not disappoint when it arrived.

Comments

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    Which records (OG or reish) did you buy because you read about it in the Soulstrut Top 100?

For me it's been:

It reminded me to sell mine, dull imo

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    gaz said:

It reminded me to sell mine, dull imo

I would have sold an OG as well. $1.99 for a CD was OK

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    Sir Joe Quarterman. There are a few others in my want-to-buy list.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    Its cheap, its easy to find, I had previously, slept on it, I now love it to bits, Nard.

• William DeVaughn and Archie Whitewater I picked up because of the SS100. It's also helped me revisit albums that I haven't thought about in years, particularly Don Blackman and Bernard Wright.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Casteneda said:
    William DeVaughn and Archie Whitewater I picked up because of the SS100. It's also helped me revisit albums that I haven't thought about in years, particularly Don Blackman and Bernard Wright.

Don Blackman I always loved.
    Bernard Wright I always tried to at least like.
    Soulstrut 100 made me revisit it... ...and sell it within a week.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Arthur Verocai - and it hasn't left my currently playing stack since. Thank you SS.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Curtis/Live! and Roy Ayers 'He's Coming'... I really should of had these filed years ago but the Strut 100 pushed me to go get them.

Curtis/Live! is stellar, He's Coming is really great but there's one or two cuts that make it drag slightly. But overall two pretty amazing albums.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Not obtained yet but on my wantlist:

Macdonald & Giles
    Archie Whitewater
    Cassell

• Grabbed Sylvers II.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    leon said:

Macdonald & Giles

Once the Strut 100 got started I realised McDonald & Giles would appear on it which prompted me carry out a longstanding desire to mint up from my VG+ Cotillion to a M Island.

Had a weird dream last night that I was digging and found a bunch of Strut 100 titles, but they weren't the originals, it was like they were part of a series of re-issues with identical (and cheaply designed!) sleeves. Naturally I passed on them figuring I'd find OGs some other night :lol:

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Still Bill. Funny I end up buying one of the most universally well-known LPs on the list. I had heard so many covers of Use Me that I never bothered to really pay attention to the original that blows them out of the water.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    PUTS ? CD. Latte pass, I know. The SS list and a video of Thes on his MPC made me pick it up finally.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Silver Apples.

And now I want Placebo, but 1973 instead of the actual Strut100 selection.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Silver Apples.

Counterpoint comp ftw.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Silver Apples.

Counterpoint comp ftw.

Cosign on Counterpoint's Placebo comp. Forgot i need that Silver Apples album too.