Question for those that have attended ARC

EL CHAMACOEL CHAMACO 96 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
I'm going to hit it up this year and plan to get the early-bird admission on Friday.
I've been to a few record conventions over the years but never a multi-day one.
I plan to hit it Friday and Saturday for sure but in your experience (for those who've
been) is Sunday pretty much a wash? Are most dealers still there or have some
packed up already? I'm pretty much a modern soul 45 and LP guy - will I be able
to cover that focus in 2 full days there or do you recommend Sunday as well? Just
trying to plan my flights/hotels accordingly.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    On the leftovers from Friday/Saturday, prices typically drop dramatically on Sunday.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    You can hit up the dealers at the Hotel on Thursday and Friday for deals. Friday tends to be a dealer free for all as all of the dealers buy from each other with many of the overseas buyers stocking up heavily to resell back home. There are a lot of deals on Sunday but many of the more sought after records will be gone by then. Not to say that you can find good records on Sunday but the selection is definitely better on Friday.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I've only been to the WFMU fair, I remember on sunday there wasn't much left but some dealers were practically giving away records since they didn't want to have to haul all of it back home.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've attended everyone of these since it began and amazingly, almost every time the best record I pull is on a Sunday.....but I tend to be the guy on the floor digging through the stuff that most folks ignore.

It's also true that the prices drop on Sunday based on how well each dealer did the previous 2 days.

50% off can really loosen up the wallet.

A large group of guys go out for dinner both Friday and Saturday nights and we usually have 30-50 people at what is now the Quality Inn to catch a buzz and listen to our finds.....if your interested just come to the table under "Rockadelic" and ask for Rich.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    There are a couple dealers in particular who do the 50% off thing on sundays, and they have great shit. The one time I attended ARC I skipped Saturday and only hit up Fri / Sun, and that seemed like the way to go. I plan on going again this year - will be cool to catch up with the Texas strutteurs!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    I plan on going again this year - will be cool to catch up with the Texas strutteurs!

Holla.