the NY Public Library is having a sale

ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-news/new-york-public-library-puts-vinyl-archive-up-for-sale/
The ultimate record sale is set to open today at the New York Public Library???s Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound. Representing decades of unsolicited donations of records that are already archived in mint condition, the 22,000 LPs will go on sale for three manic days in order to raise money for ongoing expansion of the NYPL collection.

A statement from the library says that ???There is a great chance that someone will find more than one diamond in the not-so-rough. Many of the recordings have never been played, bear promotional stamps, and remain sealed in shrink wrap.???

Expecting the rush, the statement also has some wry advice for those diggers really excited by this news: ???We will do our best to provide bags. If you think you will need a box ??? you know who you are ??? we will have some on hand while they last.???

It???s been a big month for vast record collections in New York, with the archiving of hip hop pioneer Afrika Bambaataa???s astonishing collection being opened to the public. And, if you think libraries are strictly for sharing rather than selling, then the news that London???s first vinyl library was opened last month will interest you too.

The sale will take place at The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Lincoln Center, Donald and Mary Oenslager Gallery, First Floor, at the following times:

Thursday, August 8, 2013, 12 ??? 7:45 p.m.
Friday, August 9, 2013, 12 ??? 5:45 p.m.
Saturday, August 10, 2013, 12 ??? 5:45 p.m.

For more info visit www.nypl.org.

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    curious if anyone attended or heard anything about the outcome of this?

impressive hauls?

pure chud?

what's the what? anyone?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Was there at the 2nd day half an hour after they opened...lots and lots of people going through boxes filled with mostly classical chud...I was already on the verge of giving up when I reached the end of a table and the guy in front of me was interviewed by a camera team...I sneaked up to his crate and it was the Vanguard crate...Elizabeth, Jean Jacques Perrey and a sealed Pazant Brothers? Yes...I got lucky...bumped into another guy that got the UNI box...so, you had to be lucky and be at the right box at the right time...I can only imagine what was in there, it was alot of records...I asked one of the girls working there when more boxes would come in and she said "Yeah, we have a couple of more coming in the next 30min" so I waited and got some more Vanguard stuff (James Moody et al), but it was all super random...some fresh boxes went to the other table and we will never know what was in there...so you can imagine that they must have had some serious raers in there, all for a dollar...I heard the first day was totally insane with a queue around the block...all in all it was a pretty intense experience and definitely nice to see how many different people were looking for records, from young musicians to the average tommy digalot up to your old ladies entering with huge bags to collect them records...