FRIDAYS (attn.: BATMON)

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
Thanks to the ever-reliable Funky 16 Corners, just found out about this new DVD release:

For those who aren't aware, after Saturday Night Live was on the air for five years, ABC came out with this knockoff. I thought then that they were trying too hard. Now, I'd love to see it for historical reasons.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont remember this shit...is there live music?

• Larry David!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    batmon said:

Yes. I don't know who is represented on this DVD (if at all), but there were musical guests, usually leaning towards punk/new wave acts like Devo, the Plasmatics and the Clash.

pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:

Yes. I don't know who is represented on this DVD (if at all), but there were musical guests, usually leaning towards punk/new wave acts like Devo, the Plasmatics and the Clash.

Im in

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    The wiki page has a full list of the artists that appeared. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fridays_(TV_series)#Musical_guests

AC/DC
    Al Jarreau
    The Beach Boys
    Pat Benatar
    Billy Vera and The Beaters
    The Blasters
    Bill Champlin
    The Boomtown Rats
    Bonnie Raitt
    Gary U.S. Bonds
    Boz Scaggs
    Bruce Cockburn
    Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band
    The Busboys
    The Cars
    Chubby Checker
    The Clash
    David Grisman
    Def Leppard
    Devo
    Dire Straits
    Eddie Money
    The Four Tops
    Franke and the Knockouts
    Garland Jeffries
    Graham Parker and the Rumour
    George Thorogood and the Destroyers
    Heart
    Huey Lewis and the News
    Ian Hunter with Ellen Foley and Mick Ronson
    The Jam
    Jefferson Starship
    Jim Carroll
    Journey
    Kenny Loggins
    Kim Carnes
    King Crimson
    Kiss
    Kool and the Gang
    The Manhattan Transfer
    The Marshall Tucker Band
    Paul McCartney
    The Plasmatics
    The Pretenders
    Quarterflash
    Randy Meisner and the Silverados
    REO Speedwagon
    Rockpile
    Scandal
    Sir Douglas Quintet
    Sister Sledge
    Split Enz
    Steve Forbert
    Stevie Wonder
    The Stray Cats
    Ted Nugent
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    The Tubes
    Warren Zevon

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    David Grisman?

LaserWolf said:
    David Grisman?

This doesn't surprise me as much as it should, given the era. Even in the very early 80s, there was a window of opportunity for diverse, non-mainstream acts to do a television show like this.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Rockpile.

Jeebus, takes me back.
    Pub rock salad days.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Larry David!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:

This would be interesting, assuming they could get the necessary approvals. I daren't even think about all the UK archive stuff that's never seen any sort of DVD release because the synch clearances are so prohibitively expensive.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    The only thing I remember from this show was a sketch called "That's Meshugge!" featuring Rabbis doing motorcycle stunts and the like.

• I've only seen the Andy Kaufman skit where he breaks character and the other actors get pissed

pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    David Grisman?

This doesn't surprise me as much as it should, given the era. Even in the very early 80s, there was a window of opportunity for diverse, non-mainstream acts to do a television show like this.

There are on other, no hit independent label artists on the list.
    Though I bet it was the tour with Stephan Grappeli and Mark O'Connor.

LaserWolf said:
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    David Grisman?

There are on other, no hit independent label artists on the list.
    Though I bet it was the tour with Stephan Grappeli and Mark O'Connor.

Possibly.

Grisman was on the show in December of 1981. He would have been recording for Warner Bros. at the time, which is as major-label as it gets. According to AMG, his most recent album would have been a Stephane Grappelli collaboration, although I don't know if Grappelli was on the show.

My bad. I missed that he was on Warner Bros then.

Even on Warner, I bet it was the presence of Grappelli that lifted him to national tv level.
    I saw them play back around then.

His name is still odd on the list.

No Grappelli.

• I wonder if Kramer and Ted Nugent sat down after the show and had a few Buds while discussing "The Turner Diaries."

LaserWolf said:
    My bad. I missed that (David Grisman) was on Warner Bros then.

Even on Warner, I bet it was the presence of Grappelli that lifted him to national tv level.

In the eyes of the general public, I don't think Grisman was any more famous than Grappelli was. Maybe amongst music aficionados, but I think they would have both been obscure by mainstream standards.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Oh shit! I remember this show. There was a lot of over the top skits. Michael Richards used to do this skit about smoking weed for example with this huge joint. I also remember some of the music like Kool & the Gang. This and Night Flight on the USA network were some of my late night staples on the weekends.

LaserWolf said:
    My bad. I missed that he was on Warner Bros then.

His name is still odd on the list.

Kind of reminds me of an early-80s TV show that was on roughly around the same era as Fridays. It was a syndicated show called Rock World. I remember the opening montage showed clips of various marginal rock bands, and in the middle of all this, there was a five-second snippet of...Ben Sidran. As far as I know, he hadn't gone "new wave" or anything, and I don't remember him having a huge spike in popularity, so his presence seemed pretty random.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    ATTN BATMON

Amazing

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    enjoy the wonders of Brazilian TV:

b/w

whatever came of this?
    http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/76173/

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I watchde Fridays as a kid and remember loving it, even though I now know there was a lot of druggy humor that went straight over my head. On the music tip, I remember that The Plasmatics blew my little mind, and that the Stray Cats were pretty great.