Ex-smokers, why did you quit smoking?

MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
This question may sound stupid, because everybody knows smoking is unhealthy and has a lot of side effects, but what made you quit smoking?I decided to try really hard and quit because I fell in love with a girl who didn??t smoke, so I thought that was a good reason to try and quit definitively.I failed ridiculously in the love thing ( ), but succeeded in quitting.Peace

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I had kids. I quit hanging out with my douchebag friends and started doing more dad stuff... so since I smoked around my friends but (obviously) not around my kids... when I cut out my old friends I cut out smoking.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    -Because i wanna be able to breathe right 30 years down the line.
    -Because i don't want wrinkly-ass skin 30 years down the line.
    -Because i was tired of getting sick every month due to a weaker immune system.
    -Because i would get this wierd prolonged cough for about a month when i smoked a flavored cigarette or menthol (instead of the regular kind)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Because I was getting sick everytime I had one - like, light up, take a few puffs, start to feel dizzy and nauseous...I had been smoking almost straight through for nearly 20 years...when I started at 15/16, I said I would quit by 25...then I kept going, quitting for a month or two once in a while, starting up again either because of stress, or dating a girl who smoked (that happened like 3 times!! I'd be all done, and a new girl would come into my life who smoked, and I would be puffin' away again)...anyway, it's been like 9 months now, and I never even think about maybe wanting one...in fact, I get sick like I was before I quit when someone smokes around me these days...my new roommate smokes ALL THE TIME, and it has me bummed out...

• i quit for a year about a year ago, but i'm back on em. the only way i could quit was cold turkey, no gum(yuck!!), and no patches(weird!).

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    because i was sick of needing a cigarette to calm me down every time something got on my nerves.

Because I was getting sick everytime I had one - like, light up, take a few puffs, start to feel dizzy and nauseous...I had been smoking almost straight through for nearly 20 years...when I started at 15/16, I said I would quit by 25...then I kept going, quitting for a month or two once in a while, starting up again either because of stress, or dating a girl who smoked (that happened like 3 times!! I'd be all done, and a new girl would come into my life who smoked, and I would be puffin' away again)...anyway, it's been like 9 months now, and I never even think about maybe wanting one...in fact, I get sick like I was before I quit when someone smokes around me these days...my new roommate smokes ALL THE TIME, and it has me bummed out...

hang in there dude! Live a healthy lifstyle, and everything will be aiite. run, play sports, eat fruits, do yoga, take walks in the park, whatever. half a year for me, and counting.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I had been wanting to for a while and just needed a good opportunity, which came when I had hernia surgery. Didn't want to be coughing and shit with freshh stitches down there, so I quit cold turkey then. It's been 4 years and no re-lapses except a drag on someone elses once in a very long while.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

do cigs weaken the immune system? obviously long term they can give you cancer, heart disease, etc. but short-term the immune system thing - is that for sure?

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

do cigs weaken the immune system? obviously long term they can give you cancer, heart disease, etc. but short-term the immune system thing - is that for sure?

it wouldn't surprise me that some compounds in cigarettes can weaken the immune system, but this might be more due to cigarettes cutting appetite and therefore not eating properly.

i've heard it does. i wouldn't be too surprised either, cuz your body is definitely weaker when you smoke.

• -Because i was tired of getting sick every month due to a weaker immune system.

seems fishy to me too. i got alot less sick as a smoker. it would occur to me your immune system would be stronger due to constantly fighting the negative affects of the carbon monoxide to your body???? peace, stein. . .

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    but what made you quit smoking?

It was weird for me. I had quit for a year and then taken it up again semi-socially. But when i started seeing my present girlfriend i just wanted to stop smoking. It's like, all the other times i had to use willpower to stop, but this last time it just happened to me. It's like I just stopped wanting to smoke. No effort was involved. All i can think of (as corny as it sounds) is that maybe love does that sometimes.