Mick Farren, RIP

edited July 2013 in Strut Central
Lead singer for the Deviants, dies on stage.

Fuck.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mick-farren-dies/

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jean-ClaudeBanDamned said:
    Lead singer for the Deviants, dies on stage.

Fuck.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mick-farren-dies/

Yeah, heard about this last night. Really sad. Quite a few friends of mine knew him well.

Farren was a great example - possibly the greatest example - of a 60s radical that didn't bland out with age. He never wallowed in nostalgia for the 60s, yet counter-culture values continued to inform everything he did long after the counter-culture itself ceased to exist in any meaningful way. And he died with his boots on.

He also wrote this for the NME during the long, hot summer of 1976. It was inflammatory stuff at the time, and it's clear now (well, it was clear pretty soon afterwards too, to be fair) that he spotted what was coming down the pike a lot sooner than just about anyone else - certainly anyone on my side of the Atlantic.

RIP.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

He also wrote this for the NME during the long, hot summer of 1976.

Just read through that. Good read, particularly enjoyed this line

Currently about the only figure who seems to have the least interest in the social progress of rock and roll is the skinny, crypto Ubermensch figure of David Bowie.

RIP.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Died with his boots on...

I did a tribute yesterday on the radio yesterday..so hard to believe that "Ptoof!" is '67...dude was ahead if his time for sure.

R.I.P.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    An obit from his former NME/underground press brother-in-arms Charlie Murray.

• DocMcCoy said:
    An obit from his former NME/underground press brother-in-arms Charlie Murray.

Only weeks away from what would have been his 70th birthday, he died a true performer's death: on the stage of a crowded club on a Saturday night with applause still ringing in his ears. I almost went to that show. I'm glad I didn't, and was spared seeing a friend for more than forty years die before my eyes.

Powerful.

Beyond his music Farren was a very good and prolific writer of both fiction and non-fiction. This is a miserable loss.