boston travel herp....

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
What's a good option for a place to stay for a couple nights in late August. I'm sans car so relying on public transit and walking, convenience is a factor.

Hotels or recommendations for neighbourhoods a la airbnb.

What are the most interesting areas to walk around in?

Also food jumpoffs are appreciated. Old school seafood Neptune Oyster or is that some serious tourist trap. I am going to eat a lot of oysters and clams.

Check Blue Dragon? Worst name ever? Sounds like some WWE chinky wrestler steez.

Open to craft beer rec's, any Hillstead Farms action at bars in Boston? Was impressed with Maine Beer Co's stuff also.

thank you very much for any assistance.

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Nothing cool about a herp.

:real_headz:

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    I'm going to remora myself onto this thread, as I'll be in Boston next week. Foods, records, other forms of local flavor/entertainment... any and all suggestions are appreciated.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Be extra careful using buses ??? getting onto a bus from the airport and asking if it would take me to destination X prompted an affirmative grunt. I soon discovered it was not the right bus. The driver on the correct bus also only deigned to confirm the destination with a monosyllabic grunt and zero eye contact. In restaurants, on public transport, at the airport, geniality and manners were welcomed with a mixture of surprise and suspicion, and rarely returned.
    Having said all of that, I had an amazing time. The Italian quarter is beautiful and historic looking, and the Irish quarter was great fun. There was a nice place to check out that had a lot of shops and eateries under one roof near the waterfront. The local beer with oysters was amazing.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    If you stay downtown, everything will be accessible by train- either the red or green line.

Downtown itself is kind of meh for culture- overpriced shopping, not the greatest eating. But, central, and easy to hub-and-spoke out to the other neighborhoods. And, it is not a big city at all, so walking around is also an option. Downtown Crossing seems to have some hotels, and they've been adding restaurants, so it may be the best bet- and you can walk to the North and South ends from there.

The South End, which when we lived there until 2008, was the trendy new restaurant spot. B&G Oysters is a good spot, and across the street is their sister restaurant, The Butcher Shop. We had a couple fun, expensive nights bouncing between the two eating surf, then turf. They're both Barbara Lynch restaurants, and I've always really liked her cooking/vibe for contemporary dining figures. Vastly preferred to the other Boston kingpin, Michael Schlow.

The North End, which was referenced above, is the Italian Neighborhood, and is the best "Little Italy," type place I've ever been, far superior to NYC. The Daily Catch is a great, old Italian seafood spot that people have loved for a long time- the lines are long, but that food is not on some trendy/retro chic. Just killer, killer seafood. Had a great summer date night there with my wife, and all my old Italian friends in Boston swear by it. Grant Achatz was just tweeting about his visit there, that put a smile on my face.

Cambridge is accessible via the Red Line, and people have been raving about Craigie on Main. I ate at their older, simpler bistro before they moved. This menu has been drawing praise, but is pricey.

I lived in Cambridge when I was there, and it's a good place to hang out. Arranged by square, you can have fun in Harvard and Central squares for sure- if you're there on Saturday, PJ on here does Soulelujah at the Middle East, which is a great soul night that you can finally get into, it seems. And, if you want a good place to eat and get drunk, I've managed to do both at Trina's Starlight Lounge in Inman Square a few times.

There seem to be places popping up in Four Point Channel/South Boston, but I'm not that up on things. As I said, left five years ago, and get out there once a year. Ate at Sportello (another Barbara Lynch spot) over Christmas, and it was good- but, I'd say go to the North End if you want Italian.

Oh, and people freaking loved O Ya sushi when we were there- got a glowing review in the NYTimes, and a chef friend up there said it was his favorite Boston restaurant in years. Don't know if the luster has faded over the last few years, but that was THE hotness for a while, and still seems to get some love with a quick glance online.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Rereading, check Cambridge for Air B'nB. Lot of students, probably get something good. Get near the Red Line, and you're all set for transit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    gonna be in boston in a few weeks also, ty bruvs