HEALTHY EATERS QUESTION- is fast food salad okay?

2»

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    As stated your best off to make your own salad at home. Iceberg lettuce pretty much has 0 nutritional value. Plus, they use this stuff called food bleach to keep it from turning brown too fast. Basically a bleach preservative so it can't be good for you.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    My doctor said after 30 you've gotta really watch what you eat - especially sodium, which sucks for me cause i'm a salty carbohydrate fiend rather than sweets.

I veryveryvery rarely use salt and switched to this

I don't know how better it for me but I mostly use it when cooking scrambled eggs, or throw a bit on a sandwich with some oregano and pepper, etc.

I've been trying to watch what I do too man, but it's hard.

Let me go holler at that smoking thread.

• pek, you sound like a nutritionist, dog!!!

sodium, necessary in the body, but way overused in processed foods and restaurant foods. i saw a piechart once that average american sodium intake comes about 70% from eating out and packaged/processed foods.
    high sodium= much more blood pressure. my man was driving to the record spot and a vein in his leg exploded while he was driving due to high blood pressure!!! wha tthe fuck!!! sodium retains lots of water so you get that bloated puffy look. i think thats why old salty ladies get those puffy feet and ankles.

phil, id check on the color of the greens theyre using. darker the green, the better. if it looks like its all iceberg, try to switch to one that has spinach leaves. baby spinach tastes gooood. iceberg= crisp and pointless.

trans fat is worse than saturated fats. trans fats are some laboratory invention. ive heard trans fats in the body are like "sand in a clock".
    by the way, trans fats= partially hydroenated oils

good luck phil! eat to live brova

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    There's this spot by me called Portillo's, which is a pretty big chain in the Chicago area, that serves up this Oriental Chicken Salad that is so good, and pretty easy to make at home too.

Here's the ingredients:

Any kind of lettuce. I think they use iceberg by go with what you like.
    Red pepper
    Green Onions
    Peas
    Water chestnuts
    Grilled, chopped chicken
    Fried cho mein noodles (spelling?)
    Ginger salad dressing

I eat that for a lunch once every two weeks or so and it always hits the spot.